!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Deskew Correction Signal Sources for oscilloscope voltage and current probe  (Read 2095 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Today its a about four months of time, that I am exploring of what my oscilloscope can do at electric power measurements / power consumption at 50Hz 240V.

Electrical test and measurement product developers, they have in mind a pack of electrical applications, most modern challenges this is power analysis at high frequency bandwidth.
Basically this new application that all trying to get a piece from the action (profits), this is no other than the development of electric vehicle chargers.
Electric vehicle chargers = high frequency + pulsing voltage + high current

The second application which them aiming to make profits, it is the manufacturing of current probe for low-current, as tools for the development of IOT (internet of things) sensors and other gadgets that will be networked within 5G wireless environment.

Switching power supply they are here for 25 years up to date, even so newer made active probes, these include improved low-noise gain amplifiers.
Newer oscilloscopes at 12bit and or with higher 16bit resolution, due their own noiseless front end, these are by far more able so to display, of how much noise this is created from the electronic design and age of its probe.

For example one 8 bit scope, at 5~20mV of noise due the probe electronics this was in a lesser degree obvious due the 8 bit poor resolution.
At one 12 bit scope or better, the same probe, now appears as a huge polluter of the incoming signal.

Now for the most fundamental electrical measurement of power consumption, by the use of voltage differential probe along of active current probe, no one speaks about it in detail.
There is almost absolute silence of in which way the newer probes they can contribute at making better measurements within 50/60Hz bandwidth.

I did start to explore if these Deskew correction signal sources they might help if any about helping my oscilloscope this to deliver more accurate Phase shift measurement?
The answer came to me, by the study of several user manual about Deskew sources.
The fundamental frequency of Deskew source this is 15 kHz, 5V, 1A.
Additionally the available Deskew compensation range at oscilloscope units this is few nano seconds.

In conclusion,
Deskew tools and software compensation settings for voltage and current probes, they are unable to assist at lower bandwidth applications at 50/60Hz.
15 kHz Deskew sources, these aiming to improve performance at combined use of voltage and current probe, at the side of MOSFET  at switching frequency of 100 KHz and or higher.     

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix