!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Applications list for three U1177A Bluetooth adapter ( Wireless Data Logging )  (Read 3478 times)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Title: What an electrician can do with three U1177A and three U1272A (wireless Logging)
(This is an upcoming article which I will deploy here in sessions and so stay tuned and bookmark the page.) 

This small article it is relative with the use of single or many multimeters as wireless monitor solution of a single measurement or in a network combination this monitoring up to three parameters simultaneously.

Since 2010 we are aware of Agilent / Keysight U1177A IR-to-Bluetooth Adapter and of Keysight Handheld Meter Logger Software.
Specific Handheld Meter Logger Software this is most powerful Windows PC data logging software platform even up to date in the year 2018.

1) Go Wireless with a Smartphone 
Primarily and in to it simplest application, single U1177A IR-to-Bluetooth Adapter this communicate directly with Free Android App.
In the range of few meters one compatible multimeter with the help of U1177A adapter will send the measurement in the screen of my smart phone. 

Smartphone App and Mobile phone hardware this aloud up to three connections with multimeter simultaneously.
This is ideal setup for three phase monitoring by the use of android tablet and personally I am in denial to use my phone as data logger for long term.     
Smartphone or any phone this is originally a voice communications tool.

2) Go Wireless with a PC Data Logger
Now the use of PC laptop or desktop PC among with Keysight Handheld Meter Logger Software, this is mind blowing experience if you discover how many things you can do, if your work includes product testing and evaluation of power systems or power sources.
By this setup three phase voltage or current monitoring for up to 26 hours this is possible.
Weakest link in the chain this is battery power for U1177A adapter, with alkaline battery this can do up to 30 Hours, and about 26 Hours this is the limit with AAA Ni-mh and logging interval of no less than five seconds.

3) Best multimeter to use with U1177A adapter?

To be continued…
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
3) Best multimeter to use with U1177A adapter?
Since day one which Agilent / Keysight presented their Wireless product solution, my first though was how much will be total cost of ownership of this package?
My second thought was that possibly in the years to come that Agilent / Keysight it would do a price balancing so products price to decrease and be friendlier, something which never happen.
New reality in Europe this is retail price increase over the years (2010 ~ 2018) by 25%.
From the other hand products availability over eBay as opportunity sale of used tools this constantly decreasing.

Under this new reality, personally I manage to find opportunity sale of three U1177A adapter two years ago in USA.

Today and after sniping eBay for about two years, I did succeed getting a third U1272A as low as 200 Euro in order to make my wireless setup a complete package which will never need any expansion in the future.

The answer of which multimeter you should choose for such data logging setup this is simple.
Even cheapest multimeter of product family U1230A will serve well an electrician as voltage monitor, but and if you need to measure Ampere and Temperature you will have to climb in to a more advanced small factor multimeter of this series.

Next bigger step ahead this is using the expensive U1270A series, as I did choose to do, because I do engage with electrical and electronics applications.

According my needs, the possibility to perform long term data logging of:
AC/DC Voltage and Current and Temperature,
And or,
Three voltage sources,
And or,
Confirming current shunt linearity due direct and indirect measurement,
And or,
Evaluating battery charging by monitoring several parameters as for example Voltage and Current and Temperature,
And or,
Three points temperature monitor,
And or,
Single phase Inverter input and output,
And or,
Wireless voltage monitor up to three battery cells charging in series.

All such combinations they are of high importance for me, and therefore I was needed fast speed and 30.000 counts resolution, especially when thinking Lithium cells or voltage sources as is small solar panels.
Additionally U1272A this has another two strongest points, LCD display this is immune to damage due long term operation as logger, and second this is a math function which converting AC/DC clamp probe mV output in to an easy to read value in Ampere.

I think that I do not need to add more clues than that as support this justifying my latest decision.
But hey this is ITTSB Blog and I have experiences even from a similar Fluke brand offering.
Fluke brand build their concept over two theories, first is that the buyer he should buy several individual measuring probes them be limited at single function.
For example about having a complete AC voltage monitor you must buy three ACV modules, and about temperature measurements’ another three special modules and the same goes about current clamp modules.
Now if you do sum of pricing you will discover that neither this solution it is cost effective, especially when supplied software with their Bluetooth module for PC, this includes limited window of about 17 minutes of logged action and there is no option for saving any data.
You will be obligated to pay and buy special Fluke Forms software, so to be able to save data from your data logging session, and even so, this full version of software it is not perfect enough as viewer of logged data in comparison to Agilent/Keysight PC software.

In conclusion, Agilent/Keysight succeeds at looking ahead, by paying attention at developing superior data logging suite for PC.
Now this software alone it works as strong selling point for their other products in hardware.
Unavoidable cost so to build your own Keysight based measuring system this is the purchase of three U1177A BT adapters.
You will also need on third-party USB Bluetooth adapter Ver 4.0 for your desktop PC.
Then you do have a choice of which model and how many meters you are going to use with your expandable wireless test system for windows PC.

Regarding android these U1177A BT adapters they are made for it, and they are not backwards compatible with Apple iOS, Keysight has such alternative product at a much higher price.
Therefore, if you plan making such long term investment, you need to strategically design your planning and make decisions which you will stick to them for ever. 

As soon my third U1272A arrives (third team player), I will add few pictures of this setup in action.  ;) 
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: U1177A and three U1272A multimeter (wireless Logging Test System)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 06:35:32 PM »
Today I am celebrating the arrival of my latest Agilent U1272A which will be member of the team of my latest test system that is a three channel wireless data logger. My two DC voltage reference sources helped me allot to verify calibration of my newcomer from UK this be now four years old but it is strong and healthy.
 8)

Offline Andrew-88

• job title: Electrician
They look as multiple launch rocket system   ;D

I am happy that ITTSB Blog this is now equipped with a such complete test platform.
Imagine these three to was also power meters ?
No one would buy multi channel power analyzer for testing of AC power supply & UPS inverter.       

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: Keysight U1174A soft case storage solution x4
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 08:49:06 AM »
When you do finalize such a hardware setup, few more unpredictable expenses arise. 

a) I was forced to get many more Keysight U1174A soft cases.
b) I was forced to act as carpenter and make my own storage rack.
c) I was forced to use single U1174A multimeter soft case as this be accessories pouch.
d) I was forced to buy best quality alligator clips for safe testing at electrical panels 220/380V, safety and powerful jaws grip over metallic parts this is must have, and Multi-contact brand got my money.

In the positive side of things even Keysight enjoyed my recent buying decisions and RT my news due Twitter.     

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: Multimeter storage rack solution (DIY)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 09:08:54 AM »
By this simple craft I did manage to create my very own storage solution for:
a) Four multimeter  (Keysight & HIOKI DT4282)
b) Special Test leads pouch ( for Electrical work).
c) K-type thermocouples pouch ( I have significant quantity and different type for all sort of applications). 

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Adding tag over multimeter soft case ? It is possible with a bit of DIY.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 07:26:07 PM »
We undertake conversions, adding labels and sewing work, for multimeter accessories case ...  8) ;D

(When you have so many identical soft-bags the one loaded just with accessories this it should differentiate. ) 

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix