!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Die-Hard SMC AW401 Air-compressor Filter regulator !!  (Read 8471 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Die-Hard SMC AW401 Air-compressor Filter regulator !!
« on: December 14, 2015, 08:23:54 PM »
My own air compressor  is my favorite tool.
This is an Italian CERMAC Model C50/140 litre, for the history I will say that it actual vendor was a manufacturing syndicate ( Team of companies in Bologna Italy) by the name COOPCAM.
This CERMAC brand was active at 1978 up to 1989, for unknown reasons this factory closed or changed ownership, and either way today there is no trace of it.
I am say all this because if you came to this page by a search engine because you seek product specifications, or datasheet, or a user manual for your air compressor there is no any.

Now this CERMAC brand it was doing a tremendous good job back then, regarding all air compressor parts and their build quality.

The original Filter regulator was made of aluminum and this lasted 25 years, since the sad day that this were damaged somewhere in 2008 (corrosion), and now I am suffering by finding only totally unreliable Filter regulators which them get destroyed every 8 ~ 14 Months.
I have waste about 60EUR so far by buying over the years three Chinese versions which all collapsed at the plastic nut which this connects the adjusting knob with the metal body of the filter.
Then wasted another 60 EUR by buying an MADE IN USA Filter regulator which even this proved to be totally unreliable among with it vendor in USA.
This was made by Watts Fluid Air - Parker and their manager / engineer shown totally unreliable at helping me out, as all that I requested was me to receive an replacement adjusting knob for this B548 because even this was shown poorly made and got damaged right away ( within 2015). 

After several months of searching last week I did finally discovered this SMC AW401 compressor Filter regulator, this is full metal!
An SMC Japan Old-school version (2000 - 2005) and now a discontinued product.
Even so I am now waiting to receive it, this opportunity was found  at eBay and this comes from Lithuania.
This thing other than indestructible construction this offer precision pressure adjustment,  plus this have a manual type water drain which this is offered by SMC only as option.
This new experiment it did cost to me 36EUR shipped, and the word experiment goes to the fact that I got this as untested.  :)

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: Die-Hard SMC AW401 compressor Filter regulator !!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 08:36:50 PM »
I did manage to temporarily patch the problem of this Watts Fluid Air - Parker B548 by melting other plastic at the top of it, my trick made it again operable for low pressure adjustments only  0~35 PSI then air this escaping from it, and this will eventually lead to it destruction for a second time.   
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: Die-Hard SMC AW401 compressor Filter regulator !!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 08:41:35 PM »
And here is the first set of pictures from the listing of my eBay seller in Lithuania.
This SMC AW401 it is a small monster 28Cm long and about 8Cm diameter.  8)

Another equivalent product to SMC AW401 this is the old SMC AR400 (just regulator) and they do share the same diaphragm as spare part,  this is an SMC 13055AN and this cost roughly 7~10$ USD and there is stock availability at least in Europe. 

After getting my Filter regulator I will do it installation and I will post pictures.
Last day I did several tests and adjustments so to verify for one more time that everything else this working properly.
And regarding lubrication I am using motorcycle oil 10W-40  synthetic.   ;)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: Die-Hard SMC AW401 Air-compressor Filter regulator !!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 03:24:27 PM »
Good news !! I got my unit today and it is perfect in everything.  8)   
I did run at pneumatic supply store and purchased all necessary adapters, all of them step down from 1/2 inch. 

In the end I did the crash test and this monster was unable to feel any stress.  ;D 

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 03:26:33 PM »
Ready to go !!   8) 8) 8)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 11:02:42 PM »
And here is a Bonus for our visitors.  ;)
SMC AW401 inside pictures & also this SMC-13055AN diaphragm.

Also an Japanese products specification document that I found about it, this mentioning that the body of AW401 this can tolerate as MAX  15 BAR = 217 PSI.
Now the specifications of it diaphragm this is Max 160 PSI = 11 BAR
Finally the filter box mentioning as Max pressure 150 PSI = 10.34 BAR

And in conclusion my 145 PSI compressor this is impossible to damage it  ;)

hpsichogios

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 10:56:24 AM »
Hi I have inherited the same air compressor from my late grandfather who was a carpenter. It is in very good condition, and like you, I was looking for a filter similar to the original but could not find one. If you find one, please post it here. Euxaristo! Xaris

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »
Welcome Xaris,

Personally I have inherited the air compressor among with enough talent (of my father) so to personally come down to this solution ( now that Cermac this is just a memory of the past).
I do not have any product codes of these parts that I am using.
Just visit a hardware store with these pictures at hand.

Good luck! 

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix