!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

ITTSB Blog Specific > PC computing hardware - software

RAID-1 performance with WD Gold 2TB WD2005FBYZ-01YCBB3

(1/3) > >>

Kiriakos GR:
Latest (2022) WD Gold 2TB WD2005FBYZ-01YCBB3 with firmware RR09 this is newest version at 2TB.

I just did a Christmas gift to my self,  due one opportunity at getting unused (open box) HDD, with zero operation hours and active warranty for the next 4 Years.
I did confirmed first product originality at WD website, and then I gave my eBay fight.   ;D 

Older production was WD2005FBYZ-01YCBB2 with Firmware RR07

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most obvious change is the printing at product label.
Bellow the text  WD2005FBYZ  there is the text SATA 6Gb/s and next to it a new added text DC HA750

WD website when you check warranty status it report a slightly different description:  01YCBB2 VS 01YCBB3
Older revision    = WD2005FBYZ-01YCBB2   RAINIER 7200 128M SATA3 6GB/S 2.0 TB 4HD BLKPT RE S
Newest revision = WD2005FBYZ-01YCBB3   RAINIER 7200 128M SATA3 6GB/S 2.0 TB 4HD RE (RAID EDITION) S

Example of 2016,
much older revision = WD2005FBYZ-01YCBB1  RAINIER 7200 128M SATA3 6GB/S 2.0 TB 4HD GOLD LBL RE (RAID EDITION)
This one does not support GPL and is ACS-3 Rev 4

Both,  01YCBB2 & 01YCBB3 they are ACS-3 Rev 5
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crystal Disk Info This cannot spot other significant differences at 01YCBB2 VS 01YCBB3. 

Standard
ACS-3 | ACS-3 Revision 5

Features
S.M.A.R.T. | APM, NCQ, GPL   

But they are differences between the two firmware, it is clearly obvious that WD tweaked the table of statistics, at the column of Bad (value) some attributes were changed from the value 200 at new value 253.
In other words the Firmware RR07 this has tighten error statistics than the new.
This might be a minor detail, but it is there. :) 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the description RE now becomes obvious to that it translates to (RAID EDITION)
Now lets start over, we have Ultrastar engine,  RAINIER this is relative to HDD electronic controller.

Every enthusiastic new owner of Gold Series, he is snicking around to find if the latest model has any addition of golden dust that it might increase data transfer speed's  (Read / write ).

From the other hand if you considering to construct a RAID-1 array you should be very careful so both work horses to be of 100% identical specifications.
My first horse this is the latest  Jan 2023 production,  now I am looking for the second one.  ;)   
As soon my horse this arrives in Greece from Florida USA, I will be able to run benchmarks and say more about it.   

Kiriakos GR:
Quick explanation about  UASP (Serial ATA) ...

UASP = USB Attached SCSI Protocol

This is technology related to:
USB 3.0 / UASP External Hard Drive Enclosures
UASP USB 3.0 Controller Cards
Software support since Win8 and higher.

(When the HDD is in direct SATA wires connection with a motherboard, there no use of this technology.) 

Andrew-88:

--- Quote from: Kiriakos GR on December 22, 2023, 10:21:58 AM ---Latest (2022) WD Gold 2TB WD2005FBYZ-01YCBB3 with firmware RR09 this is newest version at 2TB.

I just did a Christmas gift to my self,  due one opportunity at getting unused (open box) HDD, with zero operation hours and active warranty for the next 4 Years.

--- End quote ---

Merry Christmas mate! 8)
I am glad that your Christmas time hunting on eBay, end up to success.

WD Gold 2TB retail price in our side this is 130 Euro.
You got it for 68.81 = a dream price.  ;)

Kiriakos GR:

--- Quote from: Andrew-88 on December 22, 2023, 05:57:29 PM ---Merry Christmas mate! 8)
I am glad that your Christmas time hunting on eBay, end up to success.

WD Gold 2TB retail price in our side this is 130 Euro.
You got it for 68.81 = a dream price.  ;)

--- End quote ---

Merry Christmas mate! 8) 

Today I did buy my second horse  ;)
That is another WD2005FBYZ-01YCBB2 (of 2017) item location Ireland (EU) .
I got it used and Disk-Mark-Info confirms normal use, this HDD previously worked at a regular workstation.   8)
The other two watchers of this listing they lost their chance but that's life ..  :P 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WD it does store relative WD2005FBYZ Performance Specifications within their WD2005FBYZ Technical Reference-Manual.PDF
Screenshot at the bottom.

HDD status:
1) My NEW unused horse its on the way from USA, shipped with UPS and Prepaid VAT
2) My gently Used horse this is paid today and soon will be shipped from Ireland ( VAT Free ). 
Total cost: 110.81 Euro.

The New year 2024 it will find me with a modernized RAID-1 for the OS, and its about time my WD Raptor (10.000rpm), of the year 2005, these to be retired..    ;)

overvolt:
Double fast horses = Double joy.   8)

Merry Christmas !!   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix
Go to full version