!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Why cheap ESR meters are worthless?  (Read 7795 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Why cheap ESR meters are worthless?
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:35:09 PM »
In most electronics repair forums, when the young ones realizing that capacitors damage is at the Top of the list as cause that a motherboard or a TFT monitor or TV set stops working , they do get exited about to become doctors by them self’s.

Equivalent Series Resistance three words translated to ESR.

Their next move is to start a hunt on eBay, so to discover the necessary ESR meter which it would become their capacitors diagnostic tool.
Those people by realizing that everything comes for a price they start to get attracted by all sort of gismos named as ESR meter.
But their major problem is that they do not know of what they need exactly as technical features, and which one to trust?

This post is going to be a reply to all those confused souls.

As first I will say that capacitors are not growing on trees, they are manufactured items and their manufacturing and testing is made by tremendously expensive tools and all process occupying too an enormous amount of electronic engineers which are also testing and verifying the ultimate quality of these electronic components, before they got shipped to the world.

In order to keep things simple to understand, I will say that ESR is just one of the parameters that maters, measuring capacitance and testing frequency are also extremely important.
The testing frequency for its capacitor it is suggested by it manufacturer, and especially the Low-ESR capacitors are measured in Milli-ohm.

1000 Milli-ohm is equal to 1 Ohm.
The value of  22 Milli ohm could be the starting point as ESR (internal resistance) of the new high quality Low-ESR capacitors, and it would look over the LCD display of a LCR meter or ESR meter as 0.022 and therefore if your gadget does not have the necessary display resolution of four digits? Then it is crippled and a poor design.

Most trained professionals are also aware that accurate measurements in the range of Milli-ohm it can be performed only by tools supporting four wires measurement which also have the necessary test leads.

Regarding test frequency as I have all ready mentioned, it is dictated by the manufacturer of the capacitor.
And it could be in the range of 100Hz or up to 100 KHz, now when the manufacturer sharing the capacitor technical specifications by their data-sheets, all measurements can be verified only if the test instrument comes with the necessary technology so to perform this test.

Unfortunately, not even one up to date, from the named as ESR meters are capable to perform an 100% reliable measurement of a Low-ESR capacitor.
Their product designers of such things, are mostly amateurs in programing of such devices, and do not use any high precision electronic parts when assembling their gadgets.

Handheld meters which can do such measurements reliably are few and they are named as LCR Bridge.
Among their advantages is that by a single measurement they offer information about four parameters which are necessary for a complete capacitor evaluation.

Today I got lucky by finding one 10 Milli-ohm SMD resistor over the PCB of a Li-Ion charging controller which was inside in the battery pack of my ACER laptop.
By this resistor I am now able to test the self calibration and the test leads of my DE-5000 LCR meter prior making any very Low-ESR measurements.

Self calibration for LCR meters equals to relative mode of multimeter, it is performed by the user as many times is needed, but the LCR meter it does store the fine adjustment caused by the calibration in it memory, and using it at the next power up.

In summary with out a true reliable meter at hand you are not even capable to verify if your newly purchased  Low-ESR capacitors are fakes or not.

In the end of the day the stubborn one will say to him self that…. I am not that demanding … so the cheap meter is OK for me.

And my last respond to him will be that … the one who does repairs that bring food on his table, he better follow the path of wisdom.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

nono95

Re: Why cheap ESR meters are worthless?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 11:21:29 AM »
Hi Kiriakos,

I like your site.

I read your review of the DE-5000 LCR meter and I can't find the minimal ESR value that it can measure.
I also read the manual but couldn't find the info either. May be I missed something.

Do you have some info about that ?

As you say an LCR meter has to be able to measure ESR values in the range of 10 mOhms.

I would like this data before buying it.

Thanks.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 02:06:42 PM »
I read your review of the DE-5000 LCR meter and I can't find the minimal ESR value that it can measure.
As you say an LCR meter has to be able to measure ESR values in the range of 10 mOhms.

Yes I did confirm DE-5000 operation down to 10 mOhms (0.010) by verifying that is possible to measure that low.
This is great news because the meter shown performance at such low resistance which there is no capacitor with such low ESR today.

You need to understand that low resistance measurements is a tremendously tricky business, digital noise in the meter it self caused by it own components it makes impossible one measurement down to (0.001) 1 mOhm, which is the lowest displayed value on the LCD screen.

In conclusion the meter can do a measurement down to  (0.010)  in a display capable to measure from (0.001).
It is true that I did not confirm DE-5000 operation at the range of 0.009 to 0.001 because it is pointless to do that.

Also you must be aware that a measurement with out accuracy is pointless, test and measurement industry advice us that  high accuracy should expected at 6% of the working range and above. 
The lowest range of DE-5000 is at 20 Ohm = 20.000 mOhms.
Therefore (calculator in action)  20.000 mOhms minus 6% equals to 1.200 mOhms and DE-5000 can do much more down to 0.010 mOhms.

Mate this is remarkable performance in my eyes. 8)

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

nono95

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 04:14:49 PM »
Thanks Kiriakos.

What is odd is that the manufacturer does not give the data officialy (in a manual or on its site).
Have you tested with another LCR meter ?

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 05:22:31 PM »
Thanks Kiriakos.

What is odd is that the manufacturer does not give the data officialy (in a manual or on its site).
Have you tested with another LCR meter ?

Yes it does http://www.deree.com.tw/downloadfiles/28-eng)DE-5000.pdf

I have test also the Agilent LCR
http://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?board=29.0

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix