!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: 1000BASE-TX Best cable to use? CAT5E vs CAT6 (Tip for Pro installers)  (Read 2593 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
This topic will deliver few answers about common errors at LAN cable selection.

At my office I have two computer supporting 1000BASE-TX, and I am using CAT5E.
I never take the time to read in detail my INTEL LAN Card datasheet.
But I did that today.

CAT-5E this supports frequency bandwidth up to 100MHz (Max) 
CAT-6  this supports frequency bandwidth up to 250MHz (Max)
INTEL 1000BASE-TX this require operating bandwidth of 125MHz along minimum cross talk due the UTP cable.
(working mode is 12/36 transmission, 45/78 reception)

INTEL 1000BASE-T due the lesser data bandwidth (in comparison to 1000BASE-TX) cross talk requirements getting less, and as such the CAT5-E it can be used.

Cross talk this is sort of interference which forces the LAN card adapter to activate correction methods ( retransmission of damaged data packets) which them cause time delay at data transfer.
Cross talk interference this always increases proportionally with the length of the cable.

Even at the year 2023, most LAN equipment they are fully support 1000BASE-TX 125MHz bandwidth.
CAT-6 (23AWG) this is the appropriate one, not only because it supports up to 250MHz bandwidth, but mostly because it has 50% lesser cross talk effect in comparison to CAT-5E.

Especially when cable run this is over 8 meter and up to 30 or more, the use of CAT-6 this is not a choice but a requirement.

CAT-6A this is the shielded brother of CAT-6,  its shielded against incoming interference due nearby of significant is size electrical equipment.
Another description of CAT-6A, this is industrial cable.
It supports 10GBASE-T and not 10GBASE-TX, personally I would trust it up to 5GBASE-TX. 

In conclusion Home/Office application will never need anything better than CAT-6 23AWG (0.58mm), this it might be bulk but it should be certified.
And or Verified according to TIA/EIA , 568B.
Also it is of high importance at bulk cable, pairs to be made of pure copper.
Outer diameter never lesser than 5.8mm
With central cross separator (must have).

The only reason that its wise to get away from bulk cable, this is if temperature ratting of PVC this is a limiting factor: -30°C up to +70°C.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline overvolt

• Industrial installer Electrician
  • Global Moderator
Re: 1000BASE-TX Best cable to use? CAT5E vs CAT6 (Tip for Pro installers)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 02:18:17 AM »
What bothers me the most, this is the unreal pricing of metallic rj45.

Offline liviu2004

• job title: Electrical Engineer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 05:12:45 AM »
10GBASE-TX Is not a thing, on my duckduckgo research. 5G as well non existant.
6A cable is not only shielded but goes to 625MHz bandwith for the one I purchased.
TX was a commercial failure according many.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 07:24:07 PM »
10GBASE-TX Is not a thing, on my duckduckgo research. 5G as well non existant.
6A cable is not only shielded but goes to 625MHz bandwith for the one I purchased.
TX was a commercial failure according many.

I have much more faith at quality NIC (Network interface controller), I always choose the most expensive from INTEL.
The problem even with quality NIC, this is that it does not offer any clues at the user if CAT5E or CAT6 wire this does a better work.
In most cases we build entire LAN wiring according latest specification and then we pray and hope for the best.  :)

I have access to a FLUKE tool (from a local friend of my)  about cables certification.
Neither this can sense the difference at short length of cables (up to 10 meters).

CAT6-A this is for mostly powering things than plain networking of two end points, this is for IP camera, WiFi AP, and POE (power over Ethernet).

Newest 2.5 gigabit toys are useful mostly for video editing, and large files transfer.
My goal is 1 gigabit along lower possible latency at small and medium packets.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 09:03:41 AM »
My goal is 1 gigabit along lower possible latency at small and medium packets. 

I am coming today to confirm by having a significant joy,  that by tossing away old CAT5e from my workshop and using instead CAT6 everywhere.
I do now confirm 2.5ms latency reduction at on-line Gaming.

Previously I had 44~45ms when connected with game-server in Germany.
Now I do see 41.5ms ~ 42.0ms as max.

So the new cable it did helped at lowering cross-talk noise (between pairs) at the point which the improvement shown even at VDSL 100 line.

Now I have been triggered to test of what CAT6 shielded this might give as benefit over the CAT6 UTP.
My thoughts which holding me back for now, my workshop this is clean from electrical noise that might cause issues at the LAN cabling.
From the other hand, CAT6 shielded per pair this only it might deliver any cross-talk further benefit VS the CAT6.

And now I feel a bit confused,  shielded pairs and shielded cable this is CAT7  :P
This is not flexible cable and a pain regarding cable management. 

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix