!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Kids & Electric flyswatters the deadly enemy of any multimeter  (Read 4719 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Just read a topic in a Greek forum: A kid hobbyist  liked to measure the volts of his Electric flyswatter and what he managed to do is to burn his low cost multimeter.

The truth about those High Volts tennis rackets is that they do have an output starting from 1000V, the latest models are up to 2500V and the finest in 2010 they advertised as 3500V.

When I got recently my FLUKE 40KV stick  (volts divider) so to measure high volts by the use of a multimeter,
I did use my own Electric flyswatter as a harmless test point.

Even so I did measured 2950 Volts as output.   

What people should be aware is the fact that even in profesional multimeter with 1000V CAT IV,  the safety which they offer against High Volt  spikes ( 3500V - 8000V ) , it does not actually translate that the meter it will recover after been exposed in a such event.

What gained as additional info by visiting the Wiki page,  is the info that the inventor is a man in Taiwan. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly-killing_device#Electric_flyswatter

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

giorgos

Re: Kids & Electric flyswatters the deadly enemy of any multimeter
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 05:07:02 PM »
I think that the high voltage of this stuff, is a very short pulse (some miliseconds). Does your meter, or any reliable meter is capable to capture a short pulse like this, and measure  with precision the voltage ?

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Re: Kids & Electric flyswatters the deadly enemy of any multimeter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 05:34:23 PM »
In the specific item there is one set of capacitors which they store energy.

The finest DMM are capable to measure up to 1000V,  anything above that mark is unfriendly energy which the meter should protect the user by safely absorbing the energy.

You are correct that this is a pulse, but the problem is the duration.
In CAT testing the duration of its one HV pulse is set to standard values which represent an instant spike.

In this case the stored energy in those capacitors I believe that is much higher from what the industry is using in their testing labs. 
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix