!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: 8-2019 Telescope Restoration of 1994: BRESSER - Lunar - OPTIK - Tchibo 60-700mm  (Read 7748 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Yesterday I did rescue from be discarded to city trash, this Bresser Lunar 46-60700 Telescope.
My first 6 hours of web research, helped me to identify that this very specific Telescope, was sold in Germany prior this to start using Euro.

This telescope was in terrible condition,  tube and tube optics was internally full of dust.
First step at my restoration this was taking it completely apart, front lens holder removal was the hardest to do.
But after succeeding to remove front lens holder and after getting lens out and cleaning them, only then I regain faith that this telescope has a chance to become usable again.

Wooden tripod legs did not have damage, but I did found issues at length adjust knobs.
First adjuster knob lost, second knob required repair, third knob was intact but I did cut some length of the screw (excessive screw length acted as negative factor - prone to damage at storage).

Rubber feet they are at their end of life.

Missing parts:    
5x24 Viewfinder
Entire number of stock eyepieces they are missing.

Damaged part:
90 Degree mirror with missing tube (eyepiece holder).

Generally speaking this telescope as is, there is no chance to be tested, with out purchase of a single eyepiece.
Right now I am investigating pricing and availability of the missing parts.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 12:56:54 PM by Kiriakos GR »
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Luckily after in-depth internet search I did manage to find this important clue ... default list of supplied accessories for Bresser Lunar 46-60700 :)

This carton box must be from a bit newer  46-60700 Lunar Telescope (product revision) and at the time that wooden tripod were abandoned and replaced by the first generation of aluminum.

Speaking of product  naming, I found three about the identical product.
Bresser Lunar
Bresser Tchibo  (German market - wooden tripod)
Bresser Classic
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Prior saying of what my quick research revealed to me about this old generation of telescopes, I must inform the readers of this topic that I am at the age of 50 years old, and in the past 15 years I am hobbyist photographer from the ones spent approximately over 3000 Euro for several Olympus digital cameras and lens accessories.

I am very familiar of chromatic aberration term, focus length, expensive Olympus Japan (zoom – wide – macro) lenses, Hoya filters and lens hood.

It is a fact and known rule of the game, that the diameter of your lens (if they are fixed on the camera) this is your guide speaking of compatibility with other add on lenses.
For example my Olympus C2100 UZI has a barrel diameter of 49mm, all my Lens accessories they starting from that diameter and I can use even larger in diameter lens with appropriate adapter rings.

My finding about these (old technology) telescopes sold as telescope for starters, this is that they using diameter of eyepieces and accessories of  0.965"  or  0,96 “  or  24.5 mm in metric which today this is obsolete.

Mother China (the real maker of this telescope) still has (0,96  inch  or  24.5 mm) eyepieces and accessories but quality of optics and of housing plastics of eyepieces and adapters, they are at toy level (manufacturing quality).

New to me awareness and fact, this is that telescopes industry moved ahead adapting 1.25 inch as standard and this is now followed by all major telescope parts manufacturers, the outcome is that quality eyepieces and filters they are produced only at 1.25 inch.

New economy telescope at identical dimensions (made in china), they sold on eBay today with tripod and all relative accessories for a total of 60 Euro.

One Set of three spare eyepieces’ 20MM + 12.5MM + 4MM  (0,96 inch  /  24.5 mm)  they sold for 10$ , and an 90 Degree mirror adapter for 3$ USD.

Speaking of expectations, specific model of telescope this can not use modern high quality eyepieces as is.
Now I am thinking that it is neither cost effective, to replace focus system mechanism with a modern paying another 25 Euro just for it.  :P

Personally I made the decision to pay and get the cheap compatible parts so to make this telescope functional.  :)
Because of old tripod design and mostly of average performing rotation head, I am thinking that 4mm Eyepiece this will be useless.
At 700mm lens this 20MM Eyepiece the gain is 35X of magnifications and alternatively one 12.5MM Eyepiece this will deliver 56X of magnification.

In the positive side of things, because of specific telescope age and brand, the front lenses they are of true glass.  :)
And also it 90 Degree mirror adapter this is also a part made by quality metal and plastic plus the mirror.

I did ordered right away another 90 Degree mirror adapter, this sold at 3$ and it is entirely made of plastic.  :P
I am now examining the possibility of transferring just the 0.965"  eyepiece holder (barrel) of it at my (Bresser branded)  90 degree accessory.

New rule in this game, if you do not trust the newer produced part, then use it so to rebuild the old one which was produced at higher quality standards.  ;)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
This adventure costed to me 13.27 Euro, but I did learned allot about everything else than the stars.  ;D

To be continued ....  ;)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Do you care for history facts?  Telescope model age ?

Miraculously at the year 2001 in USA and EU suddenly several brands appear as telescope designers, and thanks to the American Bushnell distributor the Made-in-China appears with great clarity, no telescope required to see it.  ;D   

Also Thanks to Bushnell (Deep Space 78-9514) sticker, I did manage to gather the F number information of these 60mm Objective Lens.

I also learned the difference refractor telescope VS reflector.
Refractor is the type of all regular telescope that we may use them at Day & Night.

Now I am assuming that my Bresser Lunar 46-60700 this is made back to 1998~2000 because it missing this fancy fine-adjustment (hardware), but I am making plans to replicate it.  ;)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
At such products, only visual comparison, it can involve lots of trickery, simply because first thing copied by the industry of China, this is ODM product appearance.
Therefore I decided to take this scope apart again, this time to record on pictures it design and parts in use, so this topic to deliver educational benefits too.

While all parts they are intact, and the 18 years of it age they did leave their mark, I did notice that the external lens (achromatic lens system, two lens divided by spacer) this has a yellowish tint, and now I am speculating that this is it coating.

Generally speaking, product assembly and construction quality does not justify bragging rights.
Even so the lens are true glass, the body aluminum, the focuser made of plastic but it gears they are good as new.
I did clean the gears from old grease and added a fresh layer.

So here it is: BRESSER made in 2001 anatomy for your eyes only !  :)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I did feel as cheated by discovering from a 1973 Japanese product catalog, that simple yoke mount (over a tripod) this is recommended only for binoculars with no more 50X magnification.

Spesific 60dia 60-700mm  telescope this has usable range of magnification from 35 to 175X, therefore with out a Slow motion controls rod it is impossible to have a positive experience with it.
There is a conspiracy at telescope accessories world, this Slow motion controls rod it is not sold anywhere.

I did not had other options than to activate the machinist in me;)

My very own Slow motion adjustment wheel this is able alone to move 45 degrees up from horizontal position.
In order to move another 45 degrees, you simply readjust the rod lock mechanism.
Both points at the sides of the rod they have a friction-free swing motion. 

I am not going to deliver any precise How To,  any smart machinist he gets the idea only by these pictures.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I was not expect that ! 8)

Even BRESSER from Germany send me their positive vibes today! (after seeing pictures of my own design of Slow motion controls rod).
I suppose that major trigger for such a respond this is my level of insistence so to turn this telescope useful again.  ;) 

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Today I am in celebration mode  :) 
Vast majority of missing accessories arrived,  three eyepieces these serving  for different magnification of the target.
An 90 degree mirror (diagonal) for visual quality comparisons VS the more expensive 90 degree prism.

I was had to reinvent the wheel and create a DIY cover for the objective lens.

Rubber pads at wooden legs replaced by new!

I did also discover Flocking (Flocking is the process of depositing many small fiber particles (called flock) onto a surface.
Black velvet paper was installed inside the tube, for elimination of reflected light due the tube wall.

Last step of restoration progress this is restoring the missing label, and the identity of my vintage telescope.  :)

Currently not here the red-dot finder-scope, and few other step-up rings which these will help to rebuild the missing eyepiece holder tube of this expensive 90 degree prism.
I am currently able to review the moon but not to aim the stars  ;D 8)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
With lots of patience and a few calculations, I did manage to find the best DIY method and now my 90 degree prism this is also as: Good as NEW !
In the positive side of things, I did use other parts than cannibalizing the new 90 degree mirror star-diagonal.    8)

I did manage to find pictures of similar design, and to decode and discover the actual dimensions of the missing part.
Now I am leaving my pictures to do the talking.  :)

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix