!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: First touch: USB gadget, LCD power monitor - Charger Tester KCX-017  (Read 9185 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
By finding this new USB gadget, after a quick research I did feel the need to get one.

While it main job is to operate as power recorder for those mobile power banks for mobile phones charging, and actually as verification of the actual battery capacity, my own application is different.

What it has happen to me is one USB stick an GSM data communication modem, to fail and burn the USB port which was powered from it.
And another time one USB stick for data storage it failed too, and cause damage at the USB port which caused failure at that south bridge chip of the motherboard which resulted a permanent damage to my ASUS 200 EUR worth motherboard, which thankfully was still on warranty and ASUS send me one refurbished instead which I am very grateful even up to date to them.

Today I need one USB power consumption testing platform (gadgets set) so to be able to predict such issues, especially when I am plugging several USB stick for data storage to my Oscilloscope or other sensitive test and measurement equipment.

While my own specific application is rather simple, I did proceed buying one additional 1A & 2A (by switch selection)  USB DC load, so to have the chance to take advantage of this power meter gadget in full even in the future.

Regarding pricing, in the sum of 7.5 EUR I got both.
If some one is interested to buy this too, I will advice him to get the DC load which is pictured in my two last pictures, which has ventilation holes below those resistors and a more reliable current selection switch,  beware that many other similar looking offerings has inferior switch and PCB.

I have actually just ordered both items due eBay, and in few weeks I will test them and add some comments of how successful this setup looks to me.

Specification :

Input : 3-7V/50mA~3500mA
Onput : 3-7V/50mA~3500mA
Capacity : 0~19999mAh
Communication function : Yes
Parameters adjusting fuction : Yes
Equipments for parameters adjustment : One electronic load- one constant current source.
Parameters that you can test : Voltage of battery- current of battery- value of discharging capacitor.(Total ten parameters)
The device has 10 memories / parameters set

Clean the data : Push the button until the parameters changed to next sets of  parameters (3-4 seconds) then release the button.
Then the next sets of parameters ( next memory number) will be activated and will start from zero.

Check the parameters : Quick double click (within 0.5s) you entering in checking mode.
The LED background will be flash.
Then you can see the next set of stored parameters in LCD screen by single time click.
Quick double click = exit of stored  parameters checking mode.
LED background  will stop flashing.

Over voltage or under voltage : An arrowhead will be shown in LCD screen and  LED background will flash.
Display starts flashing below 4.7V & above 5.3V
Push the button once and LED will stop flashing for 30s ( temporary snooze mode for easy viewing).

Turn on model : The LCD screen will show all parameters within 1s when you connect power supply  by MicroUSB or male plug of USB with wire (It is to check whether the LCD screen  is good or not).
Then you can see the parameters used last time (auto stored ones).
You also can see the current voltage- current and over voltage or under voltage.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: First touch: USB gadget, LCD power monitor - Charger Tester
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »
Finally received my very one LCD power monitor after 52 days, it seems that the Chinese post messed up my order.
Because of this problem I did reorder from another seller and eventually I will end up with two of them.

I have to say that I am very impressed with this item, the display is tiny but extremely clear and easy to see.
My first test with it was to fully charge from a complete disharged contition my PDA and to monitor the results.
My PDA has a 1700 Li-PO and this battery is three years old at list.
The measurement of 1433mAh is an indication of 15% capacity loss over time.

Other than the LCD power monitor I also order and this 1A / 2A mini load, and I did that for more than one reasons.
a) I like to have a load so to stress such USB type power supply and to verify their over all condition.
b) I needed one easy way to test the actual LCD power monitor regarding accuracy.

I am very happy about having this LCD power monitor !  8)
Other than testing chargers and measuring battery capacity, it can do basic diagnosis over USB ports over a USB ports hub or even over PC motherboards, so to be able to evaluate USB communication problems. 
I do believe that this gadget is a more safer way for measuring USB port volts, than using regular test leads and a multimeter.

This 1A/2A resistor load it does run extremely hot, and smells a bit when powered up for first time.
I do not suggest and is not also necessary to use it for more than five minutes continuously.
Any faulty USB type power supply it will immediately collapse by this load even at 1A ( low setting).

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: First touch: USB gadget, LCD power monitor - Charger Tester KCX-017
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:18:51 PM »
Now I am going to expand at performing USB micro B benchmarks too, at my fresh Galaxy S5 G900F.
Actually I have in my plans to verify quality of cell phone Fast... charging long cables, the ones marketed as 2.4A

Therefore any one interested he can follow this link.
http://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?topic=1153.0

Additionally when you do read all information's  from above article, then you may read and discover
all details of  New UNI-T UT658 USB capacity tester within 2017 Mini Review

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
RX21 wire wound resistor 10W specifications
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 09:20:23 PM »
Few more information's about this 1A/2A resistor load
PCB naming X606

My pair of resistors they have printing as 10W 4.7RJ.
This is nowhere to be found, if you seek for resistor electrical specifications.
Instead you get across of type RX21
Dimensions: 8x32mm for 10W resistor.

For an extended life cycle the resistor should not get warmer over 70C +/- 2C.
Operating Temperature Range: -55C~+155C
Tolerance: 1% or 5%
(Factory testing: 55C / 275C,30min / 5 Cycles)

Factory / source:  Bengbu Jindun Electronics Co., Ltd

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix