!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Best Stackable 4mm Banana Plug for T&M projects  (Read 6048 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Best Stackable 4mm Banana Plug for T&M projects
« on: June 16, 2013, 01:15:56 PM »
I have banned from my bench those cheap banana plugs which you can find anywhere.
They bad design makes them useless about a tight fit & good connection,  and also some of them has issues with the center pin which pops out and the part becomes useless.

The only worthy banana in the market is the type which is pictured below.
It does cost a bit more and this makes it unpopular on eBay and the small sized retail stores.
Even so if you do touch one of them, it is impossible to go back.

Manufacturer ?  Unknown but by 99% it is Made in China.
I was had to search 3,000 eBay listings so to spot a seller for them, which I do not wish to publicly recommend because he found to be unreliable regarding shipping.

Once I payed in Greece 1.40EUR per one of those and actually get four pairs.
In large spare parts sellers  (on-line sites) you may find it close to 0.50EUR which is a good price for this product.

My order end up to 11 New pairs, which are more than enough for my needs. 

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

giorgos

Re: Best Stackable 4mm Banana Plug for T&M projects
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 05:28:27 PM »
Good stuff, I prefer them too. You can find also same type bananas with gold plated metallic parts (much expensive naturally).
Im looking to find in the market flexible silicon cable to combine it with them, in order to make test leads.
Many years ago i could find in local market this cable (it cames from 'TELE' brant in package of 100m, so you could buy those meter you needed.In a good price also and good quality) but now i cant find it nowhere.
One thought i had for this, was to get a cheap set of multimeter test leads, and cut them to keep only cable, so i could connect it with these banana plugs.
Another thought which came as i was searching ebay, was to buy a complete set of test leads (banana to banana) like this
http://viewitem.eim.ebay.gr/Silicone-Test-Leads-Right-Angled-and-Straight-Shrouded-Banana-Plugs-1-Pair/170985687131/item
I would like to hear your opinion about this.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:53:58 PM »
I did find good cables before two years ago in  Athens - Syntagma square, about 7 blocks from it.
I got 8 meters of it's color (dual sleeve too).
I did use some cable for making several pairs of banana cables yesterday and still have some spare of it.  :)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 07:45:56 AM »
It took me only five years so to discover that my first choice of economy banana plugs this is described as 25.412 nickel plated 4mm Banana.  :)
And this is not all,  I was lucky to find and product specifications diagram. 

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 08:20:19 AM »
Now within 2019 I will also deliver and a second recommendation.

This week I did receive and inspect shrouded female banana plug, this is for the application of wire extension or about making DIY test leads.
In the positive side of things, this banana barrel resistance it is comparable to gold plated Multi-contact female banana plug.
But do not be confused...  buying such female banana (China) this is now somewhat safe choice, but mechanical construction and product quality of male banana plugs this is still questionable.

Vast majority of Industry of China they expect customers requiring banana plugs for Audio Applications and Radio controlled toys.
Shiny-Gold bullet style banana plugs these are disposable RC toys connectors.

Another detail about these shrouded banana plugs, the hole at the top ( entry for the wire) this is very wide, the manufacturer recommends use of silicon wire with a large diameter.
Quality double insulation PVC wire for multimeter test leads this has diameter of 3.63 mm and this is not wide enough to fill the gap of 4.4 mm.
Because of this detail I am now adding a few turns of insulating tape so to increase wire insulation diameter and make it compatible with these banana plugs.    ;)   

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 10:48:38 AM »
After the discovery that several factories scamming the market by offering recycled aluminum with Gold paint,  I was forced to perform a second quality verification at those accessories which I did gave a positive recommendation.

By removing the nickel plating from both specific items, they are made of Brass which this is what I would expect.  :)

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix