!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Quality hand tools  (Read 19301 times)

giorgos

Quality hand tools
« on: January 02, 2013, 07:14:35 PM »
By this time im planning to make a upgrade in a major part of my equipment, starting with hand tools. After searching in net and speaking with many engineers , i decided to buy a set of insulated pliers (knipex).
 I knew this brand for quality in products, especially in pliers.
I would like any suggestion about my choice and  also a suggestion for buing a quality brand screwdrivers.

http://viewitem.eim.ebay.gr/KNIPEX-VDE-ZangenSet--3tlg-0306180--26-16-200--7006-160-Set-doutillage-VDE-/330686536342/item

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Re: Quality hand tools
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 09:07:07 PM »
Interesting topic but I am out of suggestions.

My own screwdrivers are a mix of Made in Germany and Made in France, which I have for decades and most of them are Chrome vanadium.

Recently (last year) I got my first high quality side cutter for electronics, and actually I got the top pick of knipex in hardness and antistatic, and just for comparison I got the best from the American market too, which is called as Xuron 9200  Micro-Shear.   
The bottom line is that in the end I liked more the American one.   :)

Your seller looks to need 10EUR as shipping, and the point is that I have see some Knipex tools in those Praktiker shops that we have in Greece.
May be it worth to check them first and then compare the pricing with eBay.
One rough number as price about such tools in Greece is around 18 EUR its one.   
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

giorgos

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 09:11:57 PM »
Yes i already have checked the price in local market and its in the same level with ebay. I post the link for example to have a picture of this item.

Phyllomedusa

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 10:02:03 PM »
I use and recommend Wera and Wiha. I use a mix of them. I prefer the Grip of my Wera Kraftform Micro, but got some new Wiha screwdrivers for 1Euro (each)..... So maybe check out local markets and closeouts.
These are my standard screwdrivers.
For Attaching enclosures and more standard stuff I use a Wera Zyklop (1/4"). You can switch it to be a screwdriver or ratchet, what is nice when you have to unscrew some bolds or so.

giorgos

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 05:29:03 PM »
Yes i know those two brands, i have select them for my final choice also with UNIOR and WITTE. I would choose FACOM too which have high quality products,  but i think that is overvalued brand.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 08:40:38 PM »
Regarding FACOM and many others, those days we have the problem that the manufacturing in China, it does not produce the same results as it was far back where those brand-names gained publicity and fame.

Generally speaking it was known 20 years back some facts as public saying.

1) The American does not play when he makes hand tools.( quality and strength but bulky) 
2) The German always had high quality steel and experience.  ( quality and strength )
3) The Japanese is capable with half the portion of the metal, to make it strong enough and optically superior.
4) Made in France ? They was in the fourth place in this race.
5) Do not trust the Italian when he plays with metal.
6) Made in East Europe or Russia = Experimental technology
7) The Greek is the best Beta tester  ;D  (He uses everything as to was a hammer too.)

From all those sayings nothing stands today, or very few.

When the conversation comes down to isolated screwdrivers,  the most freshest marketed series are the most safe to use.
Which naturally they should be selected among the know brand names.

My own father as cars electrician were very demanding regarding the quality and strength of hand tools,
and actually the 55% of the tools that I own today are my inheritance from him.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Phyllomedusa

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 08:55:56 PM »
Yes i know those two brands, i have select them for my final choice also with UNIOR and WITTE. I would choose FACOM too which have high quality products,  but i think that is overvalued brand.

Facon is OK. We have some tools of them which we use on our cars (Ratchets, nuts, and so on). The best heavy duty stuff we used so far was Hazet. They also have a wide range of special tools, but they are more expensive than facom. We also have some very nice stuff from BGS.

For normal use Facom should be fine. If you will use (misuse) it on a regular basis you may check out Hazet or Gedore or so. Be careful when buying premium brands on ebay as those also get copied. So maybe don't buy Hazet or Gedore or so from a chinese ebay supplier.

special for Kiriakos:
7) you may want to have    ;)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 09:32:56 PM »

special for Kiriakos:
7) you may want to have    ;)

I have the older brother of this http://ecatalog-mob.maqprint.fr/produit.php?pro_id=2039 which looks and is indestructible.   ;)

The blue case worths today as much as half Rigol DS2072  ;D

giorgos

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 08:56:10 AM »
The day of delivery of theese Knipex tools comes closer. Im looking forward to come in my hands , then I will be able to post my first impressions for them.
 By now my next purchase will be a new toolcase, probably this:
http://www.voelkner.de/products/19401/Werkzeugkoffer-Silver-Parat-433.000-171-Abmessungen-L-x-B-x-H.html?WT.mc_id=idealo&ref=19&products_model=C92433&utm_source=idealo&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=C92433&WT.mc_id=idealo
and then a set of wiha screwdrivers.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 11:36:05 AM »
Regarding the tool-case I did a zoom-in in the main handle of it, and I did not gave me a positive feeling.

Even so I do not have an superior alternative suggestion, but at the range of 30-40EUR  the mixed type of wood and plastic cases with curved aluminum corners, they are more than acceptable.
In  my hands their life cycle is around 12-14 years.   

giorgos

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 05:50:52 PM »
My current toolcase is like this one you said, I have it 10 years and it is still in a good condition. The weak point is the internal tool holders, which are very poor and insufficient for all of the tools that i have to carry. Also the overall dimensions are rather small for the rest of my equipment except hand tools.
These disadvantages forced me to look for a bigger case, with many storage choices for hand tools and also more reliable construction for many years using.

giorgos

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 08:22:35 AM »
Today i recieved the Knipex set. I ordered it from Ebay , and the total cost was about 62 EUR including shipping cost. In local market after searching the price for the same items was about 75 EUR, so i decided to buy these from ebay. At first glance they seem good having a durable construction and handles made by a very good matterial . Anyway the real and more valid test will take place at working field, with several conditions, and naturally after years i will able to verify, their resist in time.

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix