!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Is It Possible?  (Read 4435 times)

Offline giavra

Is It Possible?
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:43:29 AM »
In last few days I often have that thought about using power tools from North America  voltage 120-130V to European 230-240V.I know that many people use the classic transformer conversation as more easy and reliable way but the weight of the transformer ;D is one difficult thing that only a few people can handle  ;). I will ask for your help if it is possible to have that conversation without the common transformer but with one circuit board if this is possible that can handle at least 15A of power and can work with the 50HZ of Europe despite the 60Hz of America?

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Re: Is It Possible?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:09:50 PM »
After reading this, the word lights dimmer came in my head, but even those they are low- power items.

What you are asking for is an step-down AC inverter 220-110V.
An 110V  uninterruptible power supply could be the answer if you manage to feed the input with another 220C AC to 12V DC PSU.

Your requirement in Amperes will drive you to use a 3300W (as minimum)  or better said up to 4500W (as Maximum) inverter.
That is too many single MOS-FET and lots a heat-sinks and lots of active cooling, and lots of wasted energy due the power convention.

Even today there is some things that they do not worth to make them, except if you are very determined and money is not a problem.

Another wild idea is to buy a used 110V AC generator ( gasoline or petrol) and to replace the engine with a 220V electric motor.
This idea sounds too as a dangerous and costly and hard to build too, but for occasional use it could be a better solution for feeding loads to it with out to worry that much.

And finally the conversation gets back to the humble copper transformer and to how it solves the problem if you are ready to pay the price for the most highly suggested solution.   

The good news is that some very old Greek factories that were established at ( 60s - 70s ) they did have buy such transformers for having in mixed use European and American tools.
If you are lucky there is many chances to find a used one, before some one melt it as recycled material.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline giavra

Re: Is It Possible?
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 06:39:28 PM »
After reading this, the word lights dimmer came in my head, but even those they are low- power items.

What you are asking for is an step-down AC inverter 220-110V.
An 110V  uninterruptible power supply could be the answer if you manage to feed the input with another 220C AC to 12V DC PSU.

Your requirement in Amperes will drive you to use a 3300W (as minimum)  or better said up to 4500W (as Maximum) inverter.
That is too many single MOS-FET and lots a heat-sinks and lots of active cooling, and lots of wasted energy due the power convention.

Even today there is some things that they do not worth to make them, except if you are very determined and money is not a problem.

Another wild idea is to buy a used 110V AC generator ( gasoline or petrol) and to replace the engine with a 220V electric motor.
This idea sounds too as a dangerous and costly and hard to build too, but for occasional use it could be a better solution for feeding loads to it with out to worry that much.

And finally the conversation gets back to the humble copper transformer and to how it solves the problem if you are ready to pay the price for the most highly suggested solution.   

The good news is that some very old Greek factories that were established at ( 60s - 70s ) they did have buy such transformers for having in mixed use European and American tools.
If you are lucky there is many chances to find a used one, before some one melt it as recycled material.

Thank You Kyriakos for your reply.I already try to use 110V tool via dimmer with enough ampere 10A but it not start when you put the voltage at 110-130V.May it matter that has with the different hz 50 for us 60 for usa and i don't know if there is a dimmer even large in capacity that can change the hz.The transformer is the solution that I already use but I was tired to carry them.

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix