!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: DMM fast continuity mode does not translate to over all performance indicator  (Read 3020 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
I caught some words from a retired now Engineer him worked at Fluke. 
He admitted that fast continuity mode this is made by adding one separate hi-speed comparator (It doesn't depend on a conversion).
This is a story relative to Fluke 8060 Handheld multimeter.

Speaking of DMM development techniques of the past, this above example could be seen as smart engineering this simile to simple practical solution which did the trick in 90s.
It does not required much of imagination so we in 2017 to understand that any modern engineering relative to a multi factional continuity mode, this will never be that fast in a race with a single hi-speed comparator.

For example newer multimeter with smart continuity mode ( this performing a measurement and continuity sound gets out when low threshold value detected)  or other functionality as for example LCD back-light gets on and off,  all such added features they will steal away a few milliseconds response time from the beeper.

Therefore it is reasonable, all of us to re-evaluate our expectations.

Here is a good example this coming from the world of Oscilloscopes, Analog oscilloscope tube screen response theoretically this could be as fast as the speed of light.
Modern DSO them demonstrate the waveform, and most of them measuring and hold statistics of several measuring parameters ( Mean , Max, Peak to Peak, RMS etc etc).
This example is a proof that we do more today than single tasks, and when you do more, it is required more time too.

My thoughts for now these are that if some one seeks today a meter with hi speed continuity mode, he is at the same time in a risk to fall in love with a meter this not be part of our times.
Faster in response motorcycles these were ancient two stroke 500cc, and we send them to museums because 4 Stroke Engines have more over all benefits.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

giorgos

Μaybe a solution for someone who seeks reliability, and fast continuity too and can not find them both in one meter, is to use a second meter (older with simplest features/ fast in continuity mode ) exclusive for this purpose.
I have use this method many times, when I repair a circuit.
A good meter for voltage measurements simultaneously with an older one, but faster in continuity for fast check of pcb traces, wires etc.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Descriptions as fast - Medium - Slow, this is nothing more than a personal impression.

YouTube this is empty from videos demonstrating one true professional him taking advantage of super fast continuity.
I can not benefit my self from super fast continuity either, because my human brain this requiring more seconds so him to evaluate of what it should be tested next, when problem this is complex and a chain of tests this is required.

Fastest continuity tester of all times . . this is a torch light ( light bulb) in series with a battery .. speed of light results.  :)

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix