!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Proper use of Oscilloscope for load testing - setup of voltage & current probe  (Read 2388 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Today I was up to ACV load testing by the use my Oscilloscope along of differential voltage probe and AC/DC current probe.

I did connect everything, but at the oscilloscope screen voltage phase and current phase, these was looking as reversed.
I did double check Oscilloscope settings, everything seemed correct and I was scratching my head for some time.
Current probe this has an arrow mark at the Jaws, therefore I did that connection correctly.  :) 

But I was using RED and Black test leads and banana plugs,  and the differential volts probe this has also RED and Black banana plugs.
And this detail did not helped me to detect my error, fast enough.  :P 

Today's lesson learned:
Make sure that both voltage and current probe, are both in synchronization with active phase (polarity check).
Or else you see everything with a not easy to explain phase error.  ;D 

To make your life easier, confirm proper phase synchronization by the use of halogen lamps as load. 
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online overvolt

• Industrial installer Electrician
  • Global Moderator
Behind these screenshots they are tools worth 3000 Euros.
I have never see before your oscilloscope to be so busy.  ;D

Power measurements with an Oscilloscope this is advanced measurement for electrician engineers to execute.
It is justified of you to gain a new pack of experiences as you do elevate your own skills.  ;)   

Online Andrew-88

• job title: Electrician
First screenshot represents voltage & current at 180 degree shift.
Second and third = 0 Degree = now corrected.

Its a fact that in Greece, only at university they might have oscilloscopes and probes for such visual demonstration.   
Imagine how many things can go wrong (wiring) if this was a three phase power analyzer? LOL

Equal setup to oscilloscope with six probes.  ;)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Imagine how many things can go wrong (wiring) if this was a three phase power analyzer? LOL

Equal setup to oscilloscope with six probes.  ;)

Most three phase power analyzer, they include wiring test mode, and they deliver messages, in case of wrong connection.
When wiring test this is a Pass, then you may use them.
Oscilloscopes does not include foolproof wiring tests, you should do all wiring inspections of your own. 

All active current probes they include by design 0,5 to 1 degree shift,  but the Oscilloscope cannot visualize such a difference.   
All active current probes they also include 200mV of noise due their electronic circuit,  if a screenshot demonstrates a clean current waveform this be equally clean as is the voltage, then this is taken due power analyzer with direct current input = shunt.     

Example: The 80 PLUS certificates
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix