!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Fuse for your DMM. Too expensive?!  (Read 5601 times)

Phyllomedusa

Fuse for your DMM. Too expensive?!
« on: October 05, 2012, 06:55:19 PM »
Well, on eevblog there was a discussion about the higher priced Siba fuses which are used in Agilent handhelds (search for the "Agilent U1252B Teardown/Review" topic if you need to read it).
The Siba fuses are rated with 30kA as the Fluke fuses are rated with 20kA. Don't think of the burning current here. This breaking current is the maximum current that can be safely disconnected through the Fuse without building an Arcflash. So in short..... higher breaking Capacity means a "safer" fuse.
As Kiriakos already wrote about the cheap Glass-fuses which were used in the Mastech DMM, I decided to start that topic.

So once again.....for high energy circuits: Forget the Glass Fuses

If you are happy enough to own a nice Fluke, Agilent, Metrix, or whatever but unlucky enough need to replace a fuse:
Don't be too afraid of the cost. Maybe 10Euro seems expensive, but you get what you pay for. Search in the internet and check for the prices. You may have no problem to buy some Fluke/Bussmann fuses online.
If you wan't to replace a fuse in an Agilent, I would strongly suggest to check the price for a replacement at Agilent as well.
If you go to the Agilent site, through "oscilloscopes, ..." to the "Digital Multimeter" section, you will be presented with the current models.
Click on the U1253B and on spare parts.

You will be on another site where you can check for available spare parts.... and you'll see your fuses with the price there.

I wrote Agilent (GER) an email and they immediately responded. They have a minimum order of 35Euro plus VAT, so I ordered a bunch.
So I ended up paying 7,54€ for a 11A Siba fuse which is actually cheaper than a Fluke 11A ;)
...well, and the shipping and service was very fast.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Re: Fuse for your DMM. Too expensive?!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 05:54:32 PM »
My personal investigation about the world of fuses for multimeter, always comes in to a dead end.
And I am talking about finding two or three retailers which would offer those fuses at competitive pricing.

Personally I did manage to kill accidentally in this summer the 440mA Fuses of both Fluke 28II and Agilent U1272A.

About the Fluke meter 440mA fuse, I did not even understand how it got damaged ?
All that I can tell is that when I wanted to measure how much current was used by a battery powered device the meter was not measuring anything.

Due the fact that I have few spare Fluke fuses, now the Agilent meter haves one of those in it.

The old days the manufacturers was offering and spare fuses which was stored in the cashing of the instrument.

Now days even for the smallest mistake, it will cost your half day work payment.     
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Re: Fuse for your DMM. Too expensive?!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 09:24:09 AM »
While this information is not of major interest, because no one can use it mostly.

I did learn by a new contact person of my in China, that Chinese major resellers buying those fuses from USA at 2.9USD for 100 QTY.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix