!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: Cosmote Speedport Plus SNR Attenuation - How to - VDSL2 to fiber line evaluation  (Read 2528 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Cosmote: This is the most major internet service provider in Greece.
Speedport Plus: This is latest generation provided router, this combining ADSL and or VDSL2-17A Annex B profiles (in a single box).
VDSL2 : VDSL due fiber distribution network
17A Annex B : Profile selected according DSLAM card in use = provider choice limit according to network capability = 100000  kBit/s (max 150000)

Greatest problem for most Greek people this that Speedport Plus upon activation at VDSL2-17A Annex B,  we are unable to make a fast visual evaluation of how perfect is the connectivity with the nearest VDSL2 to Fiber junction box.

VDSL2-17A Annex B, this is 100000 kBit/s capable, but it is offered and due bandwidth limiter at 50000 kBit/s at a lesser monthly fee.

VDSL2 at  50000 kBit/s / 5000 kBit/s (Download -Upload) this is very common internet package especially when Fiber to home, this plan move slowly with the promise of 2/3 of coverage at the year 2027.

My service of ADSL2 50M package, this were activated today, and I did feel lost as everyone else.  ;D
But in approximately two hours of search, I did landed over the proper information.

SNR (Down/Up) 29.8 / 45.2  dB
Attenuation (Down/Up) 11.0 / 7.0  dB

Both such values they are confusing when you are not aware of ADSL2  min/max specifications.
And the first received advice, this is taking out of the comparison the Upload dB values.

Therefore the new comparison values are:
SNR (Down)             31.0 dB
Attenuation (Down) 11.0 dB

According to comparison chart bellow my new line has truly excellent SNR and Attenuation characteristics.
The explanation I assume that comes for the fact that my VDSL2 copper wiring, this is not longer than 75 meters (225 feet) from the nearest VDSL2 to Fiber junction box.

Previously I was using ADSL service, 2500 meters length of copper wire until the nearest DSLAM (Digital subscriber line access multiplexer).
Such a line suddenly started to degrade by filling up with noise, this varying all times and getting worst at afternoon and nights, when most subscribers they are at home, and internet traffic this increases.

Today its one of my personal millstones, I am part of the new internet network !!  :)
Default ADSL2 activation this is at Interleave mode, and I have all ready request a change to Fast path so my gaming skills to be served too.
Within Europe most to all ORIGIN Game servers they are in Germany,  and therefore no matter if you are using golden wires and Fiber boxes, your total latency will never be equal with nearby countries of Germany.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Here comes another interesting screenshot, Fast path mode this were activated today.  :)

It is interesting enough, that my internet provider help desk this told me, that since circuit activation (connection to DSLAM thru Fiber),  I should expect getting best functionality 24 hours later.
Probably there is a required time frame, electronics auto-update of firmware and or their general control system along logistics, both to shown correctly the new VDSL2 activation.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Status information
Date / time            2022-05-30 12:34:44
Uptime                   4 days, 14 hours, 39 minutes, 40 seconds
DSL Downstream  56304  kBit/s
DSL Upstream       5639  kBit/s

DSL / Link                     In sync since 2022-05-25 21:57:08
DSL/Internet Status     Online since 2022-05-26 01:28:47

Transmission mode      VDSL2-17A Annex B
CRC Errors (Down/Up)   0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)    0

SNR (Down/Up)               30.7 / 45.6  dB
Attenuation (Down/Up)  11.0 / 7.0  dB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is very interesting as news, Speedport Plus router this is also used in Croatia.
Speedport Plus (T-Com)

Any new Firmware update release for our ( Speedport Plus Cosmote) they are simultaneously appear in both countries.
We have currently Firmware version  09022001.00.035 _ OTE5

Secret command set   For this router there is only one which it does work.
http://192.168.1.1/data/Status.json

Most information of the above page also appear at regular text at:
http://192.168.1.1/html/login/status.html

Status.json , this deliver two more technical parameters ( information).
And these are no other than DSLAM Card status report, an estimate of highest possible bandwidth.

My Speedport Plus report:
"dsl_max_downstream", "varvalue": "148800"
"dsl_max_upstream", "varvalue": "60784

Sum of these information translates to:  DSLAM card that I am currently connected at, this supports up to VDSL2 100M program.
I am now at VDSL2 50M program by choice, and technically speaking, if I ever need bandwidth upgrade up to 100M, this is possible with out changing anything  (Router, cables, DSLAM card).   

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I did an interesting finding, there is a limitation of  max bytes of data for ping at Speedport Plus.

By the use of the command: ping www.google.com -f -l 1464

Speedport Plus was capable to send up to 1464 bytes of data ( at 1465 this gets fragmented).
My NIC = Network Adapter Intel(R) I210 Gigabit = this is capable for 1472 bytes of data (Only within the LAN).

I am currently exploring, if there is any tweak that I can do, this eliminating broken packages when game server this is at stress. 

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix