!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: RST FG-100 soldering tip thermometer proudly Made in China - Mini Review  (Read 187 times)

Kiriakos GR and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Say Goodbye at the crushed cardboard box.

I had good luck along skills and the tool, and succeeded removing these fancy labels from the crushed cardboard box.
Now I have three reusable labels that I can use over the next storage solution for my RST FG-100.

Currently I do keep busy my brain with the question of what would be the most practical storage solution for this tool.
From the other hand, I am expecting in two weeks and a second one.
So I am still puzzled, storage solution per tool?  Or per both ?   :)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I have much of educational fun here with all that testing.  :)

I did dare to use my LM35 high precision temperature sensor 10mV/Celsius 0,3 precision, along my super weapon 8846A this was set to five digits resolution 1PLC.
The RST FG-100 was powered on and kept active for more than 40 minutes, so this to be considered as stable for calibration inspection.
LM35 along 8844A all warmed up too.

Previously I had install my first 191-222 sensor, this is branded as HAKCO but it is formed with attention to detail = all good.   
LM35 sensor this was placed on top of the 191-222 sensor.
The test performed at 10:00 at night, it was a warm day and room temperature this is now stable.

FLK 8846A this measure the output of LM35, and RST FG-100 this takes input by their own sensor.

I were very impressed by the results of my previews test = injected signal and comparison 

I got myself in the process to explore and measure of what is called as TC Sensor error.
LM35 is the highest precision sensor (all in one) in my lab, and I consider it as best for ambient temperature measurement and also as Cold-Junction Compensation trusted source.

RST FG-100 as I did prove at my other tests, this has three ranges and digits resolution changes too.
First range:  00.0 up to at 99.9  (three digits resolution) 
Second range: 100 up to 999   (three digits  resolution)
Third range: 1000 up to 1370  (four digits  resolution)

At the lowest range we can review highest detail of 00.1 Celsius. 
In contrast at the 8846A I did lower the resolution at five digits 00.001 Celsius, because this is more than enough. 

=========================================================
At the temperature of 24.8C and at the moment that RST FG-100 this was ready to drop last digit at 24.7C , the DMM was still measuring at the high side. 
And this translates that measured TC Sensor error at the RST FG-100, this is at the low side ( minus percentage).
At Celsius measurement there is no sub-units,  thee digits for up to 99.9 this is all that we have and use.
And so at what called as important digits, I consider specific RST FG-100 also as extremely accurate at this Cold-Junction Compensation comparison.

The actual spotted error at RST FG-100, this is smartly hidden at the digits that the LCD display does not show or have.
In the positive side of things, specific RST FG-100 with serial number 202406098822 and sensor, both PASS Calibration inspection with flying colors.  8)

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
This presentation is a confirmation about actual
electrical characteristics of RST-FG100.

I did mention already about the time requirement for thermal stabilization of any DUT when this is inspected about calibration verification.

One bench top or HH DMM, this might have 500 components in it, and a PCB with medium to large dimensions.
RST-FG100 this has instead a small PCB, one active chip, one voltage stabilizer, and no more than fifteen passive components in it.
It is a logical expectation, at 24C room temperature, this to require a much shorter time for thermal stabilization, and this is twelve minutes.

No one ever before, explored Electrical characteristics of this thermometer.
My electrical measurements revealed a small miracle in favor of battery consumption and overall performance.
At this test I did remove 9V dry battery and use as input external precision DC power supply.

At 9.000 V DC I did measure as first DC current consumption at POWER-OFF, at 100uA range (100.000 display resolution) I did measure 1.900uA (1.9 uA).
And or at 1mA range, I did measure 0.0019 mA.

At POWER-ON condition I did measure at 1mA range 45.024uA (45 uA) and or 0.045mA.
Battery consumption gets lower when internal battery voltage gets lower too.
Prior BATTERY LOW Icon this activates, I did measure 41.160uA and or 0.041mA.

Next test was of me exploring voltage levels.

From a 9V battery at full charge, RST-FG100 will activates BAT-LOW ICON at 3.15V,  and it will operate until 3.00V, then LO text appear at the digital display and no further measurement it can be performed.
And therefore RST-FG100 working voltage this is at the range of 9V down to 3V.

Most regular alkaline 9V battery this is approximately a source for 400mAh.
By a rough calculation RST-FG100 this can operate by measuring temperature for 8.800 Hours, due a single battery.
But this calculation it would be valid if cut-off voltage was at 6.5V, but this thermometer has cut-off voltage at 3.0V, which this makes hard to calculate of how extended is it actual battery life.

In conclusion, do not bother drilling it so to use it with external PSU.
With a fresh alkaline battery this will be usable to you, for the entire period of specific battery expiration date.   

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix