!!

Welcome to our Forum, extension and content sharing platform of Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog.

Registration this is Free, we accept contributors of 17 years old and above. We do not accept registration with Gmail

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice: Entire ITTSB.EU content & images they are copyright protected. - Forum search engine disabled to Guests - No need of you using Adblock software.

Author Topic: 2023: New Smart voltage detector EU Socket type and Pen type  (Read 3344 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
2023: New Smart voltage detector EU Socket type and Pen type
« on: September 10, 2023, 10:29:21 AM »
Intro:
When using AC bench-top Power meter (direct input shunt) and or an Oscilloscope with BNC current probe,  golden rule this is the AC current measurement to be performed at the side of Neutral wire.

Current measurement at the side of Neutral wire, for a BNC current probe, this assists to measure a lower level of noise line peak-up (cleaner waveform).

Current measurement at the side of Neutral wire when using AC bench-top Power meter (direct input shunt), this assist in favor of more accurate measurement of very low current at range of 10mA and lower.
Voltage input at power analyzer this always cause a minimum of current flow, due power meter impedance due input resistance. 
Now when the shunt this is connected to phase instead of neutral wire, additional loading caused because a tiny amount of energy this return to ground wire.

And so, and in both cases it is recommended us to have awareness of which is the neutral wire.
Especially for power meter analyzer, we should also be able to verify that Earth-Ground wire this is active at the side of the DUT.
----------------------------------------------------

Since the year 2022 and later there is available a new generation of Smart voltage detector Socket.
New LCD screen with graphical representation about the status of all three wires (Phase, Neutral, Earth).
Along double volt meter, first for AC line voltage, and the second for neutral to earth wire voltage.
And these gadgets also include RCD testing at 30mA of test current.

Due the fact that all these gadgets along of Pen type (Phase, Neutral) detectors, both using double AAA alkaline, few more aspects they should be reviewed other than their actual electrical functionality.

AAA alkaline battery this is prone to battery liquids leakage.
Pen type (Phase, Neutral) detectors, they should have waterproofing along of drop proof specification.
Socket type Smart voltage detector, this should include an easy way replacing the AAA batteries.

This period of time I am exploring entire market about both gadgets, this technical innovation now comes from China mainland, and there is much to be discovered.
a) Which products has true CE compliance and or approval for export?
b) Which products was designed with shielded battery compartment against battery fluid leakage?
c) How much drop-proof is the socket type? 
d) Is there a true waterproof pen type voltage tester?
e) Are these gadgets designed for professional use? 

According my personal views, all answers must be found first and before someone demonstrate trust at using them.   

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline overvolt

• Industrial installer Electrician
  • Global Moderator
Re: 2023: New Smart voltage detector EU Socket type and Pen type
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 07:51:38 PM »
Usually the treasures of mainland China, they are 6$ USD worth items, these sold at Alibaba or AliExpress.
The source of these testers are brands which manufacture the low-end of digital multimeter.

I strongly doubt that they follow any IEC and or CE certifications for these gadgets, when they do not do that either for their multimeter.

True electricians does not need these socket testers.  ;)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 06:30:34 AM »
There is the term (ATE) = Automatic Test Equipment.

These socket tester (if they was a reliable solution) they add a bit of automation at AC wall socket quick inspection.  :)
Especially in our times that Schuko female plug might include safety protection cover for the pins.

At large factory we are unable to install RCD protection, and therefore these gadgets does not offer much of help to us.

After this incident
https://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?topic=825.0 now I am more cautious  about anything battery powered.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline overvolt

• Industrial installer Electrician
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 11:00:13 AM »
Yes I do understand, two small AAA alkaline these to kill an 30 EUR purchased tool, it is a painful experience.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 10:18:22 AM »
Well I decided to cancel any further research about these gadgets.

Especially when such product sources, they feel so confident about their work, at the level of not delivering any product samples.  ;D

Online Andrew-88

• job title: Electrician
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2023, 09:12:52 PM »
If I was not a real electrician, then I would advice you to go DIY...  ;D

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2023, 12:22:08 AM »
If I was not a real electrician, then I would advice you to go DIY...  ;D

I was ready to go DIY, because eBay pricing this is now tremendously hostile.  :P
At approximately 10 EUR (price+VAT+shipping) you can get ANENG AC09D.
I do consider it as better than nothing.
https://www.sunsky-online.com/p/TBD0601985902/ANENG-Backlight-Digital-Display-Socket-Ground-Wire-Voltage-Tester-Specification-AC90D-EU-Plug.htm

The fancy revision with large screens and batteries, they are now priced as to was made of gold. ???

ITTSB.EU Blog

General Data Protection Regulation GDPR ITTSB.EU Home Page Reward us by a Donation - Sponsorship TsDMMViewer Data Logger for FLUKE 884xA

ITTSB Blog - Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions FLUKE benchtop DMM Repair Services

Recommended Links

Hellenic Accreditation System E.SY.D. Portal of city Volos - Greece Clean Up and Customize Facebook Firefox Backup Tool 32bit / 64 bit Winaero Tweaker = Win7 Fonts size fix