!!

Welcome to ITTSB Forum, extension and content sharing platform of ITTSB.EU ( Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog ).

Registration this is Free, to support this Blog please use our donation links available in our Blog page and forum.  

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice:  All content of this web site this is copyright protected. - Forum search engine this is disabled for Guests.  

Author Topic: DMM4040 & DMM4050 Software - SignalExpress Tektronix Edition - How to 2019  (Read 347 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
This is a story about an electrician pulling his hair for a week, so him to discover what files to download and how to install them so to be able to evaluate data logging software user interface and tools of  SignalExpress Tektronix Edition LE (Limited Free Edition).

Theoretically Signal-Express Tektronix Edition this is delivered in the form of CD disc and this is included when you buying an Oscilloscope or a bench-top multimeter.

Originally Signal-Express Tektronix Edition this is one graphic interface which is part of Labview NI software which is a terribly complicate for end users and attractive to software developers as time saving platform (less coding for them).

My travel started due my wish to explore of what a Tektronix customer of DMM4040 or DMM4050 he gets as data logging software by purchasing one of these multimeters.

I did not have any DMM4000 series CD disc and I had to find download links for it.
While I do have visitor account at Tektronix website, it was tremendously difficult to find the most important download link that is SignalExpress Tektronix Edition.
Instead, Tektronix website search results it was pointing me at  --  LABVIEW SignalExpress Step for DMM4040 and DMM4050 v1.0.1 --  This is software patch an driver and support files so Signal-Express to be able to discover and use this hardware.

In my disappointment I did download from NI website latest SignalExpress 2015 , this is a huge 1GB download a full size LABVIEW which includes enormous quantity of software, and SignalExpress this is just a small portion of it.
I got scared because this installation it did take over my Windows XP Pro operating system, several Microsoft files in it and NI software started to auto-start and slowed down my highly productive workstation.   
I had no other choice than removing this pile of software and to restore my PC configuration as it was.

Then I thought and I did, contact Tektronix authorized re-seller in Greece, neither him was able to deliver much of help, he contacted Tektronix UK, they told us that they do not sell software licenses any more, and they deliver a web link about SIGEXPTE  (Labview version sold by Tek) this not including any software download.

I started searching again using Google this time, and I came across of Tektronix web-page which delivers download link of older NI SIGNALEXPRESS TEKTRONIX EDITION v2.5.1 for oscilloscope owners.
This is a download of 650Mb.

Next step which I had to discover all by my self was that after installing this software, that I was had to also install and the second 5Mb file for multimeters support, and finally I did succeed having installed software pack included within DMM4040 and DMM4050 CD disc.
SignalExpress v2.5.1 this is much friendlier version for windows XP PRO 32bit OS, does not slowdown my PC, and I am somewhat happy that my wish touching this software come true even if I had to pool my hairs for ten days, because TEK website this is poorly configured when you search for DMM software.
Neither I am happy with TEK UK customer support.
Our original question was how we can purchase original CD software for DMM 4000 series?
They seemed identically confused, by not thinking that SignalExpress v2.5.1 this is software for their Oscilloscopes’ and their DMM.

The cherry over the pie this is that even FREE registration of SignalExpress LE, this fails because possibly NI server this is no more configured accepting v2.5.1 licenses.
Now I am going to try my luck about trying to register my FREE copy by email.

For ITTSB Blog visitors I took several screenshots for you to also have a look of my fresh adventure.  :)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: DMM4040 & DMM4050 Software - SignalExpress Tektronix Edition - How to 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 07:20:59 PM »
Adding software support for DMM4040 & DMM4050 at SignalExpress Tektronix Edition.

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Re: DMM4040 & DMM4050 Software - SignalExpress Tektronix Edition - How to 2019
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 07:45:15 PM »
NI Product Activation Link   

Product:: Signal Express for Tek
Version:: 2.5

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
This is the shortest guide of how to get in control of this software.

In order to activate TEK DMM module you simply use: Add-Step -> Tektronix -> Acquire Signal –> Tek DMM 4040/4050

In order to establish communication with the DMM at Visa Resource (DMM 4040/4050 control panel) you need to change the setting ASRL5::INSTR and use COM port instead.
I have only one activated COM 1 at my PC, so I do enter this setting its one time that I am using this software.
It is unfortunate that this setting it is not retained by this software as default one when a project gets saved.

Next step this is viewing measurements in the graph, Data-View graph this is not connected with the DMM module, you should use (drag and drop) of Scalar-measurement (DMM module) on to Data-View graph, then this gets connected too.

If your goal this is getting a usable data log file so to export to Excel, then use exclusively -> Export to Excel (command ) the one available at Data-View graph options.

The similar option at (logs / Snapshots) Project saved data, includes a bug.
TEK made this software for Oscilloscopes, numbering of a single scalar measurement this is expressed in a form 1000000 at first row the second row takes the number 2000000 and the third appears as 3000000.
For example last of 1578 Oscilloscope acquisitions’ will appear as 1578000 (row number).
This is very confusing to Excel when we need making a graph.

Data-View graph –> Export to Excel, this using regular format for its row, for example 1,2,3,4,5,  … 100 etc

DMM4040/4050 these are fast meters regarding measurement per second logging when they record to memory or to USB storage.
The problem here is that I found scientific format of logged values as problematic for my taste. 

Strong point of SignalExpress Lite (Tek Edition) this is that logged data they are formatted according to my expectation.

DMM4040/4050 logging speed this is Baud Rate dependable, this 19200 option does not work, never did since 2008.
And this sabotage, it is not related to registered / unregistered software.

9600 Baud rate this limit-down data transfer capability to three measurements’ per second, when at totally unrestricted due bandwidth LAN connection, DMM4050 delivers 8,3 measurements’ per second at 50 Hz , at 0,02 sampling ( 4 ½) at DC and resistance function.

In order to get the most of your Free SignalExpress Lite (Tek Edition), you need to adjust Data-view -> history length (and use it as temporally data storage).
Everything recorded on the graph this is what you can use to export to Excel.
Unfortunately there is no Pause-function, and therefore be careful to not start logging again with out exporting and save your data in to a spreadsheet.     

You better select software option (hiding unregistered features) since first use, and simply use my tips about logging at not further cost for your wallet.
Never forget that NI software, this born to be a money maker for National Instrument software developers.

Now feel free Donating by using PayPal donate links at Blog or Forum.

This content required two weeks of research and saved two weeks of research which would be at the cost of your own free time.

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
I did write all ready too much regarding SignalExpress TEK edition, but I am now forced to totally uninstall it and never ever install again National Instruments software in my PC.

NI software this is designed in order to protect NI best interests, this is now a monster of over 100 software modules silently installed in your PC box so your own computer system to become a puppet in the hand of any one other Software company which is closely cooperates with NI.

Entire software packages installed at my PC this is LEGAL and I am not afraid licenses verification EVEN with out my permission due software which worked as backdoor intruder of my computer system whereabouts.   

But I am not capable to tolerate using software which creates backdoors of communication when this supposed to be a LIMITED edition, which the user does not plan to buy a FULL license.       
Therefore I do not see any need so my workstation PC activity this to be in the hands of NI for analysis of my own habits and of what software I am using.

The most hilarious than anything, this is that even NI software uninstall, this does not remove all traces of it from your system.
Neither removes Microsoft packages which silently were installed too, supposedly to assist specific software correct operations.

In simple English, removing NI software from your PC even if you are expert, this includes two days of work, so your operating system this getting back in a state including only Microsoft packages and software which this has your own approval be installed.

While I am using Norton Ghost back-up software, I did acted foolish by trusting NI software by the thought that SignalExpress TEK this is the only logging software for my DMM and that I am now bonded to it.
Then I also discovered that NI analysis module which this reads DMM statistics this is optional (PAY AND GET).

In summary, entire SignalExpress TEK this is now EOL, and takes over your computer system and privacy while this delivering nothing useful.

Therefore my golden advice this is not installing it, in your workstation which this serving your productivity.
Or even better do not install it at all.

ITTSB Links

Blog front page facebook ITTSB Blog - Donate Link General Data Protection Regulation GDPR

ITTSB Blog Sponsors

priniotakis.gr - Electronics division protosnet.com - Internet solutions