!!

Welcome to ITTSB Forum, extension and content sharing platform of ITTSB.EU ( Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog ).

Registration this is Free, to support this Blog please use our donation links available in our Blog page and forum.  

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice:  All content of this web site this is copyright protected. - Forum search engine this is disabled for Guests.  

Author Topic: GW Instek GDM-906x software DMM-Viewer2 Quick-Test  (Read 49 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
GW Instek GDM-906x software DMM-Viewer2 Quick-Test
« on: May 24, 2019, 10:52:50 AM »
GW Instek GDM-906x  this is recently produced 6 1/2 digits DMM.

Because GDM-906x this has LAN connectivity, I got motivated to test recently offered software for it, this is DMM-Viewer2  3/2019.

DMM-Viewer2 software as stand alone does not work, it does require VISA run-time, I did then install VISA 3.6 as the less harmful monster this compared to more recent VISA versions which they are performance killers of Windows XP Operating system.

Either way, I did succeed having a quick look of DMM-Viewer2 GUI.
a) This is limited to fixed size and does not support full-screen.
b) There is no settings so DMM-Viewer2 to support LAN other than serial connection due VISA run-time
c) I did try to cheat death and to establish connection with my 8846A in hardware DMM,  but this was rejected as not compatible even if it did succeed to communicate with this GW Instek software. 

Generally speaking, this DMM-Viewer2 software this is first step of GW Instek so to develop their own data logging software suite for benchtop multimeter.
Originally, GW Instek tried to play with compatibility of their DMM with BenchVue Software from Keysight.

In my opinion BenchVue Software this is No1 regarding offered functionality but high pricing and Keysight Licensing system both are a pain in the ass solutions which bonds your PC with company servers, all these causing negative impact to consumers.

It would be wiser Keysight to sell 100 Euro its software license and the software to not require Internet connection and other unreasonable requirements so this to operate.
Max number of connected instruments to BenchVue standard edition (if there was one), this could be limited to four instruments regardless of their manufacturer.         

Now we have here a GW Instek counterattack, neither their software this is made with a wider compatibility in mind, additionally this seems limited as single instrument data logger, and Graphic User Inter phase this is not seems as eye candy either.

Within 2019 any benchtop DMM this not delivered among with eye candy and usable data logging software, this I do consider it as unfinished product solution.       
Currently GW Instek this is forced following SIGLENT footsteps, and to deliver something basic that is better than No-software at all.   

Either way, I bet that consumers will appreciate such baby-steps in software production, than what other brands did as for example Tektronix which it did leave their DMM with out data logging software, with out informing consumers or do something about it since 2016.   
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB Links

Blog front page facebook ITTSB Blog - Donate Link General Data Protection Regulation GDPR

ITTSB Blog Sponsors

priniotakis.gr - Electronics division protosnet.com - Internet solutions