!!

Welcome to ITTSB Forum, extension and content sharing platform of ITTSB.EU ( Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog ).

Registration this is Free, to support this Blog please use our donation links available in our Blog page and forum.  

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice:  All content of this web site this is copyright protected. - Forum search engine this is disabled for Guests.  

Author Topic: Agilent U1272A DMM Review - Revised (June 6 2012) Add your comments  (Read 6376 times)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
This topic is here to host your comments about the new revised review of the Agilent U1272A.

By the day I am getting more matured as reviewer, and this have start to shown,
even so your personal opinion it is valuable to me.   
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ElectroElvis

Re: The new revised review about the Agilent U1272A is up /10 June 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 10:31:41 PM »
Hi,

I have read the whole review you compiled about Agilent U1272A DMM, I would have few questions regarding it:

- Does the high update rate of display confuses you when you are trying to read it, does the numbers appear ghostly?

- (for this one I can only refer to my ex. Uni-T UT71D) before entering Min/Max mode, does the meter give you any random numbers or if so does it then exclude those numbers when taking "real" measurement?

- in continuinity mode you mentioned that user is able to set the tone of Beeper, my question is is there an option to set the volume of beeper?

- I had quick glance on internet of new version with OLED clear high contrast display, is there any point from your view to include standard 9V battery instead 4 AAA or AA with high capacity?

- in battery durability test you mentioned that you switched your old Ansman NiMh batteries with Sanyo Eneloop ones. As I checked your Ansman ones had typical capacity of 930mAh, but Eneloop has typical of 750mAh if you have highest in class, is there any noticeable difference except of the slow discharge rate?

I would really appriciate the answer, since it could also help me provide some usefull information for which DMM to save.

Elvis
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:58:12 PM by ElectroElvis »

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Re: The new revised review about the Agilent U1272A is up /10 June 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 12:42:33 PM »
Hi,

I have read the whole review you compiled about Agilent U1272A DMM, I would have few questions regarding it:

- Does the high update rate of display confuses you when you are trying to read it, does the numbers appear ghostly?

The U1272A other than been internally fast, it haves a high clarity fast updating display too.
The ghosting effect is minimum, and it is limited at the last counts of the measurement.
There is an special setting on the multimeter to drop down it internal sampling speed,
in simple words to slow it down, but the gain from that it depends of how stable is what you are trying to measure.

I will bring an example from the lens stabilization systems found on expensive digital cameras,
they can absorb soft shaking and help up to a point.   

- (for this one I can only refer to my ex. Uni-T UT71D) before entering Min/Max mode, does the meter give you any random numbers or if so does it then exclude those numbers when taking "real" measurement?

The random numbers in every range comes out from a different reason.
For example the mV AC/DC ranges are sensitive to electromagnetic fields caused by other devices that we have in our room.

- in continuinity mode you mentioned that user is able to set the tone of Beeper, my question is is there an option to set the volume of beeper?

Imagine the multimeter as to was one piano, the high pitch tones are more audible. 

- I had quick glance on internet of new version with OLED clear high contrast display, is there any point from your view to include standard 9V battery instead 4 AAA or AA with high capacity?

The very modern OLED multimeters like the U1273A, is by far improved so to use even less energy from the first shown OLED solutions.
The ordinary 9V batteries are poor performers when they are paired with devices who need a bit more of power than what the 9V batteries can give.
The fuel tank of one 9V alkaline battery is limited to 300-450mAH.
The modern AAA can give double than that even as NiMH.   

- in battery durability test you mentioned that you switched your old Ansman NiMh batteries with Sanyo Eneloop ones. As I checked your Ansman ones had typical capacity of 930mAh, but Eneloop has typical of 750mAh if you have highest in class, is there any noticeable difference except of the slow discharge rate?

My personal expectation is to have gain from the change to Eneloop, the gain will come from the low self recharge rate of those very New eneloop, which they hold their charge at 70% for three years.
The repair man who keeps his meter stored in his toolbox, he will have less reasons to worry about battery life.

Agilent is very lucky with the U1270 Series, as they can use the latest AAA Eneloop 1500.
FLUKE is less lucky up to date, only the 28II can get the benefit from the latest AA eneloop 1500.

I would really appreciate the answer, since it could also help me provide some useful information for which DMM to save.

Elvis

I hope to find my answers as useful.
There is in my plans, some detailed comparisons about battery life on multimeters,
in the next months I will have more to say about that.  :)

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

ITTSB Links

Blog YouTube facebook twitter PayPal Donate Link

ITTSB Blog Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions

2017 Review samples received by

HIOKI EE Corporation - Japan Times Electronics ltd UK Vishay Foil Resistors POWERTRON resistors - VPG DER EE Electrical Instrument Co., Ltd.