!!

Welcome to ITTSB Forum, extension and content sharing platform of ITTSB.EU ( Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog ).

Registration this is Free, to support this Blog please use our donation links available in our Blog page and forum.  

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice:  All content of this web site this is copyright protected. - Forum search engine this is disabled for Guests.  

Author Topic: Announcement: GW Instek GDS-2102A oscilloscope purchase, March 14/2013 ITTSB.EU  (Read 37947 times)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Intro:
The dream about getting my own oscilloscope which will help me for advanced measurements and the better understanding of our modern complex technology is something that I was had in the back of my head for about two years up to date.

For some time I was monitoring the oscilloscopes market and I was looking for which one have the best: features / screen & resolution / build quality / value / and no firmware issues.
The Rigol DS-2000 series it did attracted my eye in the beginning of my quest, but since the announcement of Good Will regarding the GDS-2000A series this December of 2012 my attention was totally attracted by it.

My first thoughts about the GDS-2000A Series
It is an oscilloscope series that comes with the manufacturing quality of the GDS-3000 series and shares the same screen dimensions and resolution plus the VPO technology.
It comes with large memory and smart memory management, and the 2GSa/S keeps this series in to an affordable price level compared to GDS-3000 series and their higher bandwidth & sample rates.
By making those simple thoughts I came to the conclusion that this is the entry level professional oscilloscope that I should get.   

How and why?
I did send one sincere personal email to Good Will in Taiwan and also one positive recommendation about the ITTSB was send by the Greek authorized reseller to GW Instek, about their help regarding getting the model that I wanted, in to a demo price as assistance to my Blog. 
Thankfully Good Will realised the sincere motives of those suggestions and decided to give a hand to me.

Since the start of ITTSB I am following one personal rule about products or tools that I have purchase that they will never be publically reviewed.
It does sound silly to me to have paid the cost of ownership in full and at the top of it to spend a month of my time so to evaluate it. 

Today I did receive the information that my GDS-2102A is ready to be shipped from Athens Greece to Volos (my home town).
And I am extremely happy about it.

My announcement today serves multiple purposes.
a) Clearing things up.

b) For my readers as soon the GDS-2102A arrives there will be one Unboxing video on Youtube.

c) In a later time and as soon I will become a good friend with it, I will write down one sort presentation of my impressions with it.

I have all ready give my thanks and express my personal gratitude to the people who have helped me.
I am currently in a celebration mode and extremely excited about the fact that this kick-ass scope is now part of my toolbox and not a dream.
Yes you may expect a set of pictures in a week time and regarding the Unboxing video that needs some extra work will come a bit later on. 

:) 8) :) 8) :) 8) :)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Offline GeorgeVita

... getting my own oscilloscope ... Today I did receive the information that my GDS-2102A is ready to be shipped ...
... I will write down one sort presentation of my impressions with it.

;) Nice and very good news!

When you get it, you have to push it to its limits! It will be interesting to check the on screen frequency and voltage measurement accuracy and also the connectivity features like PC automated measurements or screen capture for a test report document.

Although I am tracking the T&M market for more than 30 years, "stucked" with Agilent and TEK into the oscilloscope area, you created interest in an economically feasible alternative. Even the GDS2000A series can be upgraded to a low cost mixed signal oscilloscope.

8) Kyriakos, keep going!

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Dear George thanks for the advices and all your personal help to me.   8)

My personal plan for this oscilloscope is a run-in period in which driver and vehicle will have the opportunity to get to know its other.
My function generator is full of unexplored functionalities like modulation sweep and other.
One new and very interesting period starts in my life by getting this oscilloscope.

Naturally I am romantic in a way but not naïve, this oscilloscope haves significant potentials, and I am watching occasionally conversations about the technical limits of the latest oscilloscopes regarding their memory management VS range of frequencies.
Or about the fast update rate of 80,000 waveforms per second, and I am ready to hook up my frequency counter at the back of it for verification.
Thanks for the tips about detailed accuracy tests, screen capture is very important to me too, so my evaluations to contain even such data when needed.

The Greek Easter is coming fast, start exploring the possibility to visit my home town for a tour to Pelion, plus a visit to my base for advanced oscilloscope benchmarks.   ;)

I am getting the oscilloscope tomorrow (Saturday morning).  8)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Yes I got it!!   8)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Round No2.. ;)

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu

Watch it at HD at full screen  ;) 

Offline giorgos

• Global Moderator
Congratulations for your new instrument!
 The large screen is the point who anyone focus on it at first sight of this scope. Many manufacturers adopts this feature (large screen) in new models (according the same with tv sets...).
This is necessary because in modern scopes except waveforms, there are many other indications which need to be visible to the operator, so the large screen offers the available space for this.
Regarding the video, nice work! first video of ittsb on you tube, so we wait the next. As I can see the unpacking took place in sidewalk , so I suppose that there was many curius eyes on it.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
The screen of it is something that I did fall in love with after powering it up, fonts / colors / divisions / plus the waveforms are amazingly clear and crisp.
I had test a lower class Rigol before some time and everything looked as square boxes stacked together side by side so to forming the content of the screen.

The second great thing about it is that you can set 8 measurements at the lowest bar and turn off all the side menus.
By this functionality you are using all the display from side to side.

I am forced to chop some trees and print the full manual (around 170 pages), there is lots of information that I need to get a hand on,  for example I can not find the gear box so to set dedicated measurements independently for the Ch1 and the Ch2 (yet).

The video footage was under the open sky which had a precious heavy cloudy condition which helped to not have any shadows or glare.
For a moment I thought that even God wanted to make me a gift in this specific day.

Emotionally I was in a crying and laughing condition or periods, I was reacting as a true sinusoidal wave with raise and fall due my tremendous excitement, mostly because I got what I wanted as features and at the best timing for many reasons (backstage info I can not expand).   
Regarding the footage I was not care even for the 10 Celsius temperature or for the few people who were watched me. 
I came with the Oscilloscope at 10am in my base, I started working with the presentation, and I pressed the power switch 14 hours later (2:00 am) when all the work about the presentation was made at the best possible way.

Right now I am preparing a special set of pictures of it, that they will be posted at the “My bench” page at the main site.

My only complain from this Oscilloscope so far are those nine particles of dust stacked between the glass and the screen.   
The boot time and all those hardware diagnostics on boot causes the startup time to be a bit longer than expected, and in the first power up I got scared a bit.

Thanks for the congratulations mate, this instrument it was the only one that I did not have, now I feel like the master of the universe.  ;D

Even my AC/DC current clamp is happy about this Oscilloscope (BNC plug) and naturally the special probe holder that I won from Agilent last year in a Facebook contest.  ;)   

http://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?topic=21.0

Offline giorgos

• Global Moderator
I can understand your feelings about the scope you get... I had the same feelings  when i bought my first analog scope (hameg hm 303) many years before, it was a dream that came true.

Offline Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
Yes you have a nice scope there, last year I got very close to get a similar HAMEG 40MHz , due the fact that there is even today good availability of spare parts.  :)

But I did not move forward due the fact that there is no expert repairman locally, if the scope needed any fine adjustments or calibration.

The GDS-2102A have two auto calibration functions.

ITTSB Links

Blog YouTube facebook twitter PayPal Donate Link

ITTSB Blog Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions

2017 Review samples received by

HIOKI EE Corporation - Japan Times Electronics ltd UK Vishay Foil Resistors POWERTRON resistors - VPG DER EE Electrical Instrument Co., Ltd.