!!

Welcome to ITTSB Forum, extension and content sharing platform of ITTSB.EU ( Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog ).

Registration this is Free, to support this Blog please use our donation links available in our Blog page and forum.  

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice:  All content of this web site this is copyright protected. - Forum search engine this is disabled for Guests.  

Author Topic: Agilent U1273A DMM Review - (July 31 2012) Add your comments  (Read 11145 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
This topic is here to host your comments about the new review of the Agilent U1273A.

By the day I am getting more matured as reviewer, and this have start to shown,
even so your personal opinion it is valuable to me.    ;)
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Jason the Orange

Re: Agilent U1273A review - July 31 2012 Add your comments !
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »
I just think the U1273A combines one of the best features available in the market today into one instrument.

Phyllomedusa

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 12:53:31 PM »
Thanks for the review Kiriakos.
I didn't think about buying the U1273A because I don't need another OLED meter ;)
There are some real nice advantages compared to the U1253B which is a much higher Battery runtime, rugged case, Higher memory for logging, Low-Z mode..... The supplied thermocouple is nice too (have to buy it extra on the U125xB)

So there will be a U1272A in my toolbag one day (for long time logging, bad weather, secondary meter with Bluetooth Adaptor).....quite sure ;)

It will be really interesting how the OLED works over long time (especially in hot Greece). I don't have concerns it will break soon or sooner than an LCD, but real work is sth. else than just in a lab estimated lifetimes ;)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 04:29:39 PM »
The specific meter it does have an very acceptable battery life,
and I got really impressed by it.

As long OLEDs and direct sun light are not good friends,
I would think that extreme heat is not the enemy.

But the lab tests, tells and something more about OLEDs, that I hesitate to try out.
They can function at -20C, and I do not get payed that good, so to make a such  live test  ;D ;D ;D ;D

WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Phyllomedusa

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 07:00:07 PM »

As long OLEDs and direct sun light are not good friends,
I would think that extreme heat is not the enemy.

..well, as OLEDs are made of organic material it is affected by temperature. Just try to store your milk outside of the fridge and compare it with one stored inside the fridge.
I have seen some labtests that the Bright Yellow OLED's are much less affected by decay in high temperatures, but as I said. Working outside is much different than controlled environment in a lab. So let's see

....and please, don't break/abuse it. I am not much of a fun when it comes to break stuff and waste resources ;)
I just like the Agilent meters and before breaking it I may suggest anybody to send it to me and I'll have a try to get my next scientific project in the arctic regions for a test :D. Then it would be at least used for its designed purpose ;)

Phyllomedusa

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 03:02:14 PM »
I have a question about the Setup/Firmware:

In the Setup you can set a Dual-Display for °C and °F (Must be Page 113 in the Handbook).
May you set it to °C-°F and tell me the readings?
Do they differ or is its also showing °C=°F?

Thanks in advance!

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »
I believe that those pictures will offer the answer in your question.
Yes, those are the factory presets.

Phyllomedusa

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 07:15:59 PM »
Ah, Great! Thank you very much!
I didn't need pictures...a written answer would have been fine, too ;)

So there is no bug hidden there, thx!

PS: you lucky guy.......pretty warm there (mine shows 11°C....inside ;))

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »
Well what is important to know about those presets, which is not even that clearly written in the User's guide,
Is that C and  C & F  is the best  European presets,  when F and F&C works better for USA.

U1273A and bugs ?
I do not think so, and so, no one will have the opportunity to gain a free data logging USB cable from Agilent :),   
as it happened with the first release of the U1272A, which all of them today, they have the latest firmware version.

Phyllomedusa

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 10:49:38 PM »
Well, there is a "bug" which appear in the U1252B and U1272A as well:
You can set a °C-°F or °F-°C there but it has no affect at all as the meter only shows °C OR °F...so no DUAL Display ;)

I already told Agilent about the bug with the U1253B as I found it (when I had it new ;)). They checked it, said it will be cleared in an update one day and a while later the new U1273A appeared. So they may have checked/fixed that.
Good to know :)

BTW: Bugs can happen everywhere (nobody is perfect). They just need to be fixed and it's no problem anymore (think about the IT industry)

ITTSB Links

Blog YouTube facebook twitter PayPal Donate Link

ITTSB Blog Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions

2017 Review samples received by

HIOKI EE Corporation - Japan Times Electronics ltd UK Vishay Foil Resistors POWERTRON resistors - VPG DER EE Electrical Instrument Co., Ltd.