!!

Welcome to ITTSB Forum, extension and content sharing platform of ITTSB.EU ( Electrical Test and Measurement Product Reviews Blog ).

Registration this is Free, to support this Blog please use our donation links available in our Blog page and forum.  

Active since 7 June 2012  

Copyright Notice:  All content of this web site this is copyright protected. - Forum search engine this is disabled for Guests.  

Author Topic: Agilent U1273A DMM Review - (July 31 2012) Add your comments  (Read 11144 times)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
  • job title: Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Re: Agilent U1273A review - July 31 2012 Add your comments !
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 01:19:46 AM »
I just checked the the U1272A,  the specific menu is almost hidden.
You need to get in the setup and also press "Esc" so to get to it.
I have never get in there, Celsius is all that I need.

But yes this specific functionality does not work.
The U1272A supports dual display, but as you said there is a software issue.
The model that I have are from the first ones,  from the information that I have from Agilent, they have change the PCB revision.
The improvements are about the VFD filter mostly.

The specific limitation at the U1272A I do not consider it as important.
And probably I am not the only one.  :)

Naturally is a good reason for one debate among funboys,
but the meter it does work about measuring C or F, and so it does do the job. 

BTW: What I like to have for review is the Agilent U1233A, it is time to discover and the middle sized ones.
Many people are looking in this category too.
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.
The content of this Web site is copyright protected

Phyllomedusa

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 09:48:28 AM »

The specific limitation at the U1272A I do not consider it as important.
And probably I am not the only one.  :)

Naturally is a good reason for one debate among funboys,
but the meter it does work about measuring C or F, and so it does do the job. 

BTW: What I like to have for review is the Agilent U1233A, it is time to discover and the middle sized ones.
Many people are looking in this category too.

U1233 +1 or an U1241/U1242 as these are the meter most readers could afford. I mean the U1272A, U1253B is nice.........but it leaves a wide gap in your bank account

I agree that there are no safety issues and so on involved, but it is odd that the bug continues through several models. So probably the firmware between the models use a lot of code together that can be much more affected by bugs or issues.
Otherwise you don't need to reinvent the wheel new, but check what will be copied ;)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »
I mean the U1272A, U1253B is nice.........but it leaves a wide gap in your bank account

Interesting description !!
Well if this is the case, if you got a Metrawatt, you will have a gap equal to a hole of the ozone layer  ;D ;D
and you will need an extra of 400EUR just the data-logging cable.

By my opinion, Agilent today plays alone in the area of features VS pricing in those industrial series,
If they made a 35% price cut in their models, it would dominate this market in just one night. 

The U1233A haves a retail price close to 160 EUR  which makes it just a bit expensive,
but for what it does, is again second to none about features .
WWW.ITTSB.EU   Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard  (Product Reviews Blog) / Editor in Chief.

Phyllomedusa

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 06:11:47 PM »

Interesting description !!
Well if this is the case, if you got a Metrawatt, you will have a gap equal to a hole of the ozone layer  ;D ;D
and you will need an extra of 400EUR just the data-logging cable.

Well, we don't need to discuss the pricing of GMC or Fluke and the corresponding accessories. Sure they are more expensive, but don't think that most of your readers are willing/able to pay 350Euro for a meter.
As I said.......great meters and for the price you get a lot of security, reliability and features compared to loooooooooooow end meters, but:
-Not everybody needs a meter that has a low Z mode or updates as fast as the U1272A
-If you need a small meter for checking battery voltages or voltage drops on your car... why an U1253B, U1272A or Fluke 87V ?!
-Checking the installation in your house? Buy a U1272A for measuring and leaving it in the garage after that?!

THAT'S where the entry models come in. A lot of the discussed meters (Brymen, Uni-T) are typical for amateurs who search a decent meter and if they can be compared to a model in the same price region it would be great. Some electrician who needs a new meter would buy a top model anyway as they can often lower taxes through the purchase and therefore get a good deal.

So: Don't underestimate your readers. There will be lot's of people looking for low or average priced meters here (thanks to google....)

Online Kiriakos GR

• Administrator
    • ittsb.eu
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 09:01:17 PM »
What the ITTSB haves as concept, is to speak the truth about worthy T&M devices with rich features and acceptable pricing.

There is a nice rule set in this forum, that it translates to: That kids who are dreaming to play the professionals by holding just an expensive piece of equipment in their hands are not welcome.

Also are not welcome every one who fantasizes that he can follow one rabidly moving technical stage of innovations, by holding in his hand one multimeter equal to what his own grandpa had too.

Every meter that is not capable to measure fast square wave pulses, inrush current, VFD V/A, is part of the ancient era which is capable to play just with Ohms law.

The ITTSB is here to assist the people who have decided to advance their skills, and need a bit of help, about the upper class of meters.
For hobbyists there is plenty sources of information coming from people who have a similar to their level of education and experiences.

If some one believes that one professional of my caliper, he will help them out, so to choose one generic cheapy meter, Definably they underestimate my work and my personality.

Yes the ITTSB is not for any one, and this is mater of a personal choice.
I do feel proud that currently the few members of this community, are high trained and experienced people.
With such people I like to hang around. 

About Brymen, the company haves models which are miles ahead from UNI-T.
This is why I am comparing models and not brands.

ITTSB Links

Blog YouTube facebook twitter PayPal Donate Link

ITTSB Blog Sponsors

protosnet.com - Internet solutions

2017 Review samples received by

HIOKI EE Corporation - Japan Times Electronics ltd UK Vishay Foil Resistors POWERTRON resistors - VPG DER EE Electrical Instrument Co., Ltd.